Blichmann Hop Rocket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bett-A-Brew is the name.No.1/12 Tonga place.Off Olsen Avenue,Arundel.
He'll talk the leg off an iron pot if you let him.

He did and I was ringing from Northwest WA, my ears were bleeding :lol:

batz

Yep same here....he could talk the legs off a chair!

I rang to ask about Boilerpots and I reckon I was on the phone for half an hour....and I wasn't doing much talking....haha...nice chap though!

An old post but I was interested does anyone have experience with these, or just good brewing knowledge on the following :

1) I use an immersion chiller so the wort is cooled in the kettle
2) Can I pass the "chilled" wort through the Hoprocket instead of "0 min" hops ... or will it failed becaused it is chilled..

I was racking my beginner brewing brain and could not work out the effect ?

It's my understanding that the best way to use one of these is kettle > HopRocket > chiller > fermenter.

With the wort being hot you will get better extraction of the hop oils, you then chill (I.e. with a plate chiller) to lock the aroma and flavour in.

Fyi..... Cheeky peak also stock blichmann gear good prices too however first experience say postage is quite slow.

skb said:
An old post but I was interested does anyone have experience with these, or just good brewing knowledge on the following :

1) I use an immersion chiller so the wort is cooled in the kettle
2) Can I pass the "chilled" wort through the Hoprocket instead of "0 min" hops ... or will it failed becaused it is chilled..

I was racking my beginner brewing brain and could not work out the effect ?
You can do it but it won't extract any/very little of anything due to the wort being cold. It would be a waste of the HopRocket, but it is an effective filter, no doubt.

I use mine (when I use it) before my CCFC therefore getting all the benefits.

You can get a similar (I would argue better) hop flavour/aroma from a 30 minute or longer hopstand. I sometimes do both and would do it every apa/ipa/insert hoppystylehere but I'm limited by the choice of flowers.

If you're going to put cold wort through the rocket you might as well pump cold beer through it, use it as a randall

thanks guys I had not heard of a hop stand before and have done a little reading I think I might give it a go. neal32 from reading I need to experiment a bit to ensure consistency but I do like the idea.

I have a immersion chiller sadly so unless I recirculate through the hoprocket it will not work, I guess this is possible .. anybody done that before ?

Peas_and_corn your comments confirm my doubt on doing this and I have only tried beer once that went through a Randall and really did not like it, was grassy if that was the term.

Eh, what a randalled beer tastes like really depends on the hop you use. B saaz tastes horrible IMO, but the more aromatic hops like NS and Galaxy are awesome and don't have overwhelming grassy notes. Plus a lot of pubs leave the hops in for far too many pints and it ends up losing all hop aroma and leaving pretty poor results. It's a matter of experimenting. You also don't have to use hops, I've crammed mine with mixed berries and it is really nice.

It was SaaZ that I had and it was terrible, Galaxy is interesting as there is something about the smell that I just love. Also the mixed berries is an interesting one... you have me intrigued, something else to go on the "must try" list.

Latest posts

Back