Blacksalt Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlad the Pale Aler

Cereal Killer
Reaction score
Just flicking through the latest B+B mag and read about the above, in Freo, does anyone have further information?

here

Just flicking through the latest B+B mag and read about the above, in Freo, does anyone have further information?

here

I bumped into one of the founders at TWOC at the start of the year and we got chatting about this. IIRC he was saying thay have a 6HL rig that will get the ball rolling but will be a challenge to maintain stocks in summer. Hmmm methinks it may become an attractive alternative for my Stirling Hwy Commute every day :)

Went there a while ago and they were sold out of all 4 beers, all they had on tap was JS Golden Ale, so didn't stay.

the place also got a 2/20 restaurant review from memory

I have been there a couple of times and love the location as it is right on the beach - Port Beach, and a great outdoor drinknig eating venue. When they had beer on I thought it was very good - first time there I had their Kolsch another time it was their Dunkel?? I would only go there when their beer is on because whilst I like the location I dont need to go out of my way to drink commercial beer.

As for the food they have a couple of wood fired pizza ovens that turn out pizza that looks and tastes good but other than that and a bowl of fries and a side of calamari which was what you would expect I havent ventured further into their menu. Over a few beers I did see some pretty good looking plates of food coming out but as it was for the table next to us I didnt get to try any of it.

I reckon the place is well worth a look in and with out a doubt the next time I am in Fremantle I will definately be down there having a few Black Salt beers.

How dont I know about this...

You need to get out more :)

Actually I only heard of this on Sunday. Had I known this I would have poped in as I grabbed a beer at LC and Clancey's. There are a surprising number of new micro's opening up. Anyone had a beer from Indian Ocean up at Hillary's?

You need to get out more :)

Actually I only heard of this on Sunday. Had I known this I would have poped in as I grabbed a beer at LC and Clancey's. There are a surprising number of new micro's opening up. Anyone had a beer from Indian Ocean up at Hillary's?

Tried some of Indian Oceans beer at the Royal Beer Show.

Normally end up at Clancys or LC.. Our back yard lately with our own beers.

Dropped in today after lunch at the Monk and a couple White Rabbit's at LC's.

It's at an old converted cafe/restaurant/bar on the beach in North Freo. Great location actually, nice views out onto the beach and ocean, sun shining and the freo doctor to cool you down. Had a squiz through the glass doors - looks like the "nano" brewery is converted dairy gear? Good way to start out anyway.

4 beers on tap - Kolsch, Altbier, Hefe and Dunkelweizen. They had a 3 beer taster tray (kind of silly considering there were 4 beers?), decent sized tasters too, about 200ml each. Tried the Alt, Hefe and Dunkel.

Had the hefe first, nice banana, could have done with a little more carbonation to lift it (and give it some head), but was quite a quaffable hefe. Very balanced and dry enough to be a good thirst quencher in the warm beach setting.

Altbier was the standout. Really complex malt flavours, nutty biscuits, fresh baked bread, maltesers (i.e malt/chocolate combined). Quite clean too, perfect balance of bitterness for the beer. I could of had a pint or two of this easily, I'm not normally into Alt as a style, but this was a truely morish yet still dry/quaffable beer. Clear ruby colour - good head retention/lace too.

Dunkelweizen was disappointing. Only had two mouthfuls. Looked appetising, very persistent creamy head atop a cloudy brown coloured beer. Instant flavour of burnt rubbery plastic though, almost band-aid like. Clearly a problem with the beer (infection?), unfortunate considering the quality of the Alt.

I didn't bother ordering a Kolsch - but it was obviously going down well as loads of people were drinking it. My boss was there a week or two ago for their Oktoberfest and said the Kolsch was enjoyable. He's not into craft beers so it was obviously clean / drinkable.

I think it has real potential to be a great beach bar. Would be nice to see them try something a little adventurous though. Would be a great spot for a "Pizza Port" style location like in southern California. I.e. informal beach bar with good, simple food like pizza and an array of interesting beers. I don't see the need to stick with a German "theme" - Duckstein already has that cornered. Maybe the brewer is German? :)

I dropped in there last Friday with SWMBO ... a very nice festival beer and a Dunkel ... The fish and chips .. $23 ... beer battered fries $10 ... sticky short rib - $10 ..

ordered the chips and ribs ... and 2 schooners of beer ... ended up with pints of both ... chips were good ... ribs ... very salty ... but the view out across the beach to Rotto is sensational .. seemed to me to be a bit of a Mums and kids kinda set up which is awesome if thats your family make up and you are being social ... but not sure if it a pub you could go to and get hammered though ....

although will let you know how it goes when I try it on for size in summer ... with pics ;-)

I'm pretty sure it's only open on weekends too... At least in the cooler months

I can vouch for this establishment.

Food and beers both good.

Not ground-breakingly great...but I would happily go back for more. Definately more a restuartant vibe rather than a pub/brewery on the inside section. The outside area however...

be a little careful in Summer as they tend to attract the Sunday Sesh crowd at the outside bar and this obviously involves lots of young hip cool kids jiving to their rap-metal...

Latest posts

Back