Black Shite From My Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate had the same problem and yes it was chit in the tap. Put a kit thru it now all good cheers.

Having read your story, this is one of my new year resolutions.

ye-es, me too

I havent dismantled mine in the 3 yrs I've owned them and now I am a bit worried about what I might find.... <_<

Does anyone work in a pub - what do they do with their taps?

After reading this earlier today I decided on cleaning my lines and taps.

I havent cleaned my lines for about 6 months. My taps get thrown into a bucket of napisan for about a hour once a month.

I half filled a keg with hot water and pink stain and ran some through each of the five lines. About an hour later I had a look and it had formed brown pockets of gunk in the beer lines.

I rinsed my taps out and clicked them back onto the font then flushed a keg of water through the lines.

Im going to try and do this once a month from now on.

i clean my kegs before and after use and my taps get a clean when the keg is empty or if im going away for more than a month

Pulled apart a micromatic tap - there was a heap of black crap in it

Is this mold? It's pretty gross

There are a couple of tiny holes (look like air inlets) along the centre chamber of the tap and these were full of gunk too

Napisan + very hot water didn't seem able to budge this stuff - any recommendations on keeping the taps clean??? Bar the obvious dismantling and cleaning??

How often do people go to the trouble of disassembly? I've got 2 taps - and I can't imagine going thru and doing this to 4+ taps

Cheers

Evening Cortez. I found the same thing. I used to clean my micromatic after each keg or approx 4-6 weeks. Eventually I switched to Shirron taps, I clean them every 6-8 weeks and they get very little build up.

I've never had this problem but I think it would make life easier to clean line and taps if there was a carbonation cap designed for the beer QD.

This way it would be the reverse of carbonating a bottle, and you could use the soft drink bottle to squeeze cleaning fluid through the beer line and taps to clean it.

Sometimes this poor boy gets perplexed, which is a nice change from the confusion that normally hangs out in this old head...but really...reading all of the above....now I know that Australian pubs for the most part only sell what is described as Megaswill but surely none of you can be unaware of the notion that a pub that sells good beer is a pub that keeps its lines clean. I grew up next to a pub, I read Dr Seuss with the Publicans children, my Uncle owned a Pub about a kilometer down the street, there used to be a pub across the road till it burnt down but there was another one a block away and at least one pub on the way to my Uncle's who was located next door to another pub, with another pub a block away and then two or pubs just round the corner in a town of 7000 souls so maybe the publicans of my old town paid special attention to their lines. I will check with the old man but I think the lines may have been water flushed every night and left full of water rather than beer, and of course to flush you need to open the tap and flushing is no doubt done at a higher pressure than your punter would want his icy colds poured at, even so they would have been thoroughly cleaned at least once a week.
Low volume, as we have from our set-ups means that the likelihood of crap and gunk building is far higher so it strikes me as reasonable to clean your lines and taps at a minimum as much and as as often as the megaswills.
BTW I have stopped using taps and go for the direct injection method these days.

K

Latest posts

Back