Black Rock Cider Recipe Suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2thebrew

Reaction score
Bought a Black Rock cider kit on the weekend. Trying to make a dry cider for the missus (along the lines of a strongbow dry), am considering the following recipe;

1 can Black Rock cider
500gm Dextrose
4 Litres preservative-free apple juice
2 Litres preservative-free apple & pear juice
4 granny smith apples (peeled, cored & quartered, in a stocking in the fermenter)
Kit yeast
Made to 23L

Would appreciate any suggestions :party:

That will be fine.

I would juice the apples - not sure if quartered apples will do much and I would also add in some yeast nutrient. If you were to drop the dex I don't think any harm would come to the brew depending on what ABV you want.

That will be fine.

I would juice the apples - not sure if quartered apples will do much and I would also add in some yeast nutrient. If you were to drop the dex I don't think any harm would come to the brew depending on what ABV you want.

The only way I could juice the apples would be to put them in the blender for a very short period of time (on pulse) and then put the pulp in a stocking in the fermenter (as well as the juice) - do you think this would work?

I haven't used yeast nutrient before, how / when does it need to be added, and what will it do for the cider?

Looking for an ABV of around 6%.

Thanks Manticle :party:

Add the nutrient with everything else. I think your juicing method will get more out of the apples than quartering.

Back