Black Malt in the Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubix

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm putting together a Black Cherry Saison recipe and am hoping to get as little dark / roast malt character in it as possible. I came across an article on byo.com that suggested grinding black malt to a flour and then adding it to the kettle (about 6g / 19ltr batch). I'm just curious if anyone here has tried this or has any other preferred methods to get the colour without the associated flavours.

Cheers

Such a small amount should work fine. On the other hand if you are just looking for colour, try some Sinamar that's made from Weyermann roasted malt but has minimal flavour.

Carafa Special has a very mild and smooth flavor, at 6g I don't think it would add much taste at all.

Cheers for the feedback guys.

Bribie - I had a look at the Sinamar but to get the colour I'm shooting for, I'd have to add about 850g which seems a bit excessive compared to the 10g of black malt I'd be adding to the kettle for the same result.

Manticle - Cheers for the reminder. I did read about this method a while back and forgot all about it.

Back