Black Glutinous Rice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPython

Reaction score
Has anyone used this before? I remember vaguely eating this as a pudding one (can't remember though what it tasted like) but the 'nutty' flavour might not go down to well in a lager or pale so much.

Well those parcels of rice you get at yumcha, aka sticky rice are made from glutinous rice, sunure as to what the black variety would taste like? Maybe like brown rice?!?

If you want to use rice as an adjunct, i would just use plain old long grain as its flavour neutral or the vietnamese broken rice, as its the same then just borken down so it cooks a bit quicker and you will probabaly get a better conversion as more of the starch is exposed.

At my local asian grocer they have bags of mixed rice, like 4-5 different grains.. im temped to try a beer with 1 kg of this but the only thing holding me back is the 'wild rice' in it as when you cook it in a rice cooker it leeches colour and turns the rrest of the rice pinkish..

I guess half the reason I want to try this out is that supposedly the rice isn't black but rather a deep purple\red that will leech out. Would be sorta cool.

I guess half the reason I want to try this out is that supposedly the rice isn't black but rather a deep purple\red that will leech out. Would be sorta cool.

Interesting... very interesting. I'd say give it a go. If it tastes nutty, its not that bad, its just turning your base malt more Marris Otter like. Personally i'd do an ale if you are concerned about the flavour it will produce. If oyu introduce any flaws into the beer thwy will be masked allot better than trying to make a clean Lager like a pilsner or helles. If its a sucess with an ale... go the lager route next!

black glutinous rice is a lot chewier and a bit more difficult to cook - eg it's best to soak it overnight before cooking it. from memory, it didn't have an overpowering flavour at all, should only be colour leeching out if anything.

:icon_offtopic:

Reminds me of some sausage that a friend brought on a camping trip. Available only in La Ronge, Saskatchewan; made by the local native band in the region from pork and the wild rice that grows on Lac La Ronge. They were kind of like commercially available smokies but with a dark rice added to them which contributed a sweetness. They were to die for. :icon_drool2:

The rice you're talking about is a wild rice. It's deep purple to black. It's popular in SE Asian desserts. Not to be confused with some wild rices that you get from the health food section. This one has a distinctive flavour.

It's soaked for a day then cooked until chewy. They (Cambodian recipe) add a yeast (I don't know what yeast it is.) then let it ferment lightly covered for 3 or 4 days. The longer you leave it the stronger the alcohol taste comes through. They don't let it fully ferment.

At 3 days it's got a blackcurrant/grassy aroma and flavour. And the still fermenting sugars give off CO2 which gives it a nice tingle on your tounge. The colour is deep purple.

It would make for a tasty wine or spirit methinks.

edit speelingk

With such a huge amount of crystals and caras and roasteds and chocs it will take me years to get through the list. However nothing wrong with rice in general as an adjunct, recently used a kilo of plain aldi long grain cooked to a mush in an AG Cerveza style and wort tasted fantastic. Also I'm convinced the BIAB bag drained quicker and drier. Will definitely do that one again.

The rice you're talking about is a wild rice. It's deep purple to black. It's popular in SE Asian desserts. Not to be confused with some wild rices that you get from the health food section. This one has a distinctive flavour.

It's soaked for a day then cooked until chewy. They (Cambodian recipe) add a yeast (I don't know what yeast it is.) then let it ferment lightly covered for 3 or 4 days. The longer you leave it the stronger the alcohol taste comes through. They don't let it fully ferment.

At 3 days it's got a blackcurrant/grassy aroma and flavour. And the still fermenting sugars give off CO2 which gives it a nice tingle on your tounge. The colour is deep purple.

It would make for a tasty wine or spirit methinks.

edit speelingk
Now this is getting interesting. Though it raises more questions about yeast selection now.

So has anyone tried it then?

I was thinking of turning a pale ale into a purple ale.....

T.

You could try a PM to Asher. He uses lots of adjuncts and some of his rice lagers which I have tried were exceptionally good.

I can't say for sure whether he has used black rice, but his swap beer was a rice lager with green tea so he's not afraid to experiment!

I can't say for sure whether he has used black rice, but his swap beer was a rice lager with green tea so he's not afraid to experiment!

He must spend allot of time in asian grocers like me! Im so tempted todo a ginseng pale ale. Pop some lead in your pencil!

Back