black berry and apple cider extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronson

Reaction score
hi every one ,
this is my first post.
ive been brewing for a few years now nothing too full on mostly kits and parcials.just getting into allgrains now
in saying that, i do like to experiment a bit.

so i had a can of blackrock apple cider that i bought 12months ago to make a cherry/ apple cider and a cherry pale ale.
i made the pale and then relised that the pits contain cyanide and with a bit of internet scaning i couldn't find out if it was leathal so i ended up tiping the keg out.

back to the cider i had some frozen blackberrys (1kg) that i picked @ the local creek last year
so i blended and bagged em in a muslin bag and steeped them for 30mins then added 1kg of dextrose , then my cider extract.
i know nothing ground braking but i had a sip before i pitched the yeast and you could hardly taste the apple.

anyway ill get back to you in a few weeks and let on how it turned out.
thanks for reading.
bronson

1kg blackberrys steeped 40c to boil over 30 mins
1kg dextrose mixed into boiling pot 10 mins
1.7 kg blackrock apple cider mixed into boiling pot

O.G 1034

I tried a blackberry cider recently with last years blackberries that i had forgotten at the back of the freezer.
I used 20L of aldi apple juice, some raw sugar and 2kg a frozen blackberries.
1kg I pasteurised before fermenting, and 1kg was added (pasteurised) post ferment because I found more.
I wasn't paying much attention to the temperature and must have set the pectins which is unfortunate.

It is cloudy as hell, and oddly red (expecting purpleish) but very tasty.

I'm sure yours will turn out great also!

Cherry pits do contain cyanide but a tiny amount. You would need to eat kilos of them to do yourself any harm. The missis makes cherry jam and adds the pits to add a little almond (cyanide) flavour. Perfectly fine. Whether almond flavoured beer would be any good I have no idea... but health wise it would have been fine.

The blackberry cider should turn out OK. Kit ciders don't tend to taste of much but it will be be OK. For a really good cider you need to start making them with juice. Either shop bought apple juice or for best5 results, juice from real apples. Plenty of threads on here about both methods.

Welcome to the obsession.

Cheers
Dave

made a blackrock kit once.... as I said once, no apple taste at all

ha ha , probaly why i couldnt taste the apple then.
yeah ill have to get on to making some real apple cider, but got keep the missus happy and "use what ive got first".

yeah back to the cherrys . i had 5kgs of cherrys so my thought was its not worth getting sick over. plus i was going to my annual brew day so i certainly didnt want everyone get crook....... or maybe i could of taken out the competition. :lol:

i did read that in some kriek style beers they leave the pits in but i guess i didnt think it was worth it . i did taste it before i tipped it out and it was alright.

cheers :beer:

Latest posts

Back