bittering hops, does it matter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone using Hop Extract/HopShots for their bittering? Seem to be plenty of people buying from Yakima Valley Hops - and they sell the stuff. Just wondering? If we're trying to minimise loss to hop based trub this looks to be the go, assuming a brew with lots of late flavour and aroma hopping? Thinking big IPA's....

Definitely reckon that whatever you you use for bittering imparts its unique accents to the brew. Find something you like the smell of and use accordingly.

MikeHell said:
Definitely reckon that whatever you you use for bittering imparts its unique accents to the brew. Find something you like the smell of and use accordingly.

Best advice so far!

Screwy

Have many of you bought hops from Yakima valley hops? How long is the average time It takes to get to your door from ordering?

_Mick_ said:
Have many of you bought hops from Yakima valley hops? How long is the average time It takes to get to your door from ordering?

4 times

Quickest 8 days
slowest 13 days

Yeah. Within 2 weeks. Bloody good!

Magnum is my go to bittering hop depending on the beer. If its a single hop IPA I'll use that hop right thru. If the beer calls for multiple late additions .I'll use magnum for bittering. Its a good clean bittering hop.

Wow 2 weeks is great! Especially from the state's. Looks like I'll be placing a 3.5lb order today. How to you guys store your hops? I usually keep them in their original package inside an airtight container at the back of the fridge. Any other suggestions?

SimonT said:
Anyone using Hop Extract/HopShots for their bittering? Seem to be plenty of people buying from Yakima Valley Hops - and they sell the stuff. Just wondering? If we're trying to minimise loss to hop based trub this looks to be the go, assuming a brew with lots of late flavour and aroma hopping? Thinking big IPA's....
I know one mob who do.
Yes, hop extract - its not just for IPA's any more (or ever)

3-verres+6-bouteilles-copy.jpg

Case and point, Coopers pale ale... only a bittering addition, still imparts a 'flavour' (if you want to call it that loosely)

Yes it matters... especially so if you go for FWH type additions too.. B)

_Mick_ said:
Wow 2 weeks is great! Especially from the state's. Looks like I'll be placing a 3.5lb order today. How to you guys store your hops? I usually keep them in their original package inside an airtight container at the back of the fridge. Any other suggestions?
Same process. But in the freezer.

I currently have about 6 kilograms of hops on hand. Might be time for a big IPA! B)

syl said:
Same process. But in the freezer.

I currently have about 6 kilograms of hops on hand. Might be time for a big IPA! B)
Haha nice, I barely have that much weight in grain left

I did read that bittering hop additions don't matter in terms of flavour but even in my limited experience I've found a massive difference between them. When I bittered with Nelson Sauvin I found I couldn't drink it straight away as it was too harsh. I had to let it sit for about 3 weeks then it was nice and smooth. Would say the same about Northern Brewer. When I've bittered with Cascade or Amarillo I can hop straight into it and it's nice and fruity. Still get better with age but aren't as harsh.

In summary I think your choice of bittering hops make a big difference. I learnt that early in my extract brewing days.

Newts

I don't know why people would order from the states for hops and wait weeks when for a couple of extra dollars (and it really is only a couple of extra dollars) they can order from http://www.hopdealzaustralia.com/ and have it next day or day after and support an aussie business run by a local brewer.

I'm not against ordering from the states, but when the benefits are that small i just have never seen the point.

I don't know why people would order from the states for hops and wait weeks when for a couple of extra dollars (and it really is only a couple of extra dollars) they can order from http://www.hopdealzaustralia.com/ and have it next day or day after and support an aussie business run by a local brewer.

I'm not against ordering from the states, but when the benefits are that small i just have never seen the point.

So true

A bit OT
I tend to have moved away from POR as a base for bittering mainly because it doesn't keep as well as most other pellet hops.
A beer made with POR that is a bit old is something you wont forget :)

Horizon is my go to bittering hop as I don't like Magnum. Chinook is a hop that I will have nowhere near the bittering end of any brew.IMO it is too harsh and I use it sparingly if at all at the end of a boil.
Simcoe is another hop that is overlooked by a lot of brewers but is a smooth bittering hop for apa styles.
I will add that a German Pils with Saaz all the way is still a magnificent beer.
My random thoughts

Cheers

You don't like Magnum period or don't like American / German?

I realise tastes are pretty subjective but I've been using G/Magnum for about a year in APA'S and AIPA's and quite like it.

Yet to try Horizon but plan too directly

:)

Latest posts

Back