Birbeck's Brewing home brew competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbirbeck

Reaction score
I've had the pleasure of starting up my own beer label after years of home brewing and its gone ok so far. Now I'm running a competition for South Australian Brewers.

The thrust of the competition is to brew a beer using Oat malt. Flaked oats, rolled oats and golden naked oats are not subs for Oat malt but can be used in addition to Oat malt in the beer. Details of the comp can be found here but the highlights are:

1. use Oat malt such that it is noticable in the final beer either in mouthfeel or flavour
2. keep the beer to 5% or below.
3. create a beer that is great for winter drinking

It could be a new style like an Oat IPA, India Brown Ale, Oat Brown, Oat Stout, light brown oaty ale, red oat ale. Lots of hops, little hops, big esters low esters. The key will be balance

SA brewers, get on it.

Is this a joke or are you fairdinkum?
$20.00 to enter, the brewer releases all rights to the recipe & Birbecks keeps the profits of all beer sold, wow that sounds tempting.
I think this is a slap in the face for someones hard work & for someone else to reap the rewards.
I note that the brewer can be present when scaling the beer up to commercial volume.
It seems under agreement, you might be able to get a mention on the bottle, maybe.
If you do win, It looks like the prize is, well, nothing really.
Good luck!

I'll clarify

Release rights to the recipe for that brew only. Brewer can take it from there if they want and we won't use that recipe again...If you're worried about rights to your recipe I'll organise to draft up an agreement making a clear statement as to the ownership of the relevant IP rights. Brewer can work with me to name the beer.

'profits' is very loose term. I incur a five figure sum to brew the winner's beer and if I'm lucky it will cover costs and I won't be left with kegs or bottles at the end of the day. But its my business, my money and my reputation at stake so I maintain the right to control it.

My intention is to bottle a portion of the batch as well and everyone that enters will get a six pack of the winning beer. so $20 and you get a six pack and if you win a chance to share your beer with a wider audience.

Crusty said:
$20.00 to enter, the brewer releases all rights to the recipe & Birbecks keeps the profits of all beer sold, wow that sounds tempting.
I think this is a slap in the face for someones hard work & for someone else to reap the rewards.
I note that the brewer can be present when scaling the beer up to commercial volume.
It seems under agreement, you might be able to get a mention on the bottle, maybe.
Good luck!

Crusty said:
Good luck!
The prize is having your beer brewed at a commercial brewery, which you could be involved in on the day and prior by the sounds of it, you get the kudos for developing a recipe that will be put on tap and sold to the general public.
Crusty, this is pretty normal practice and is meant to be an incentive for home brewers to further their craft.
I really enjoyed my experience a few years ago brewing at The Eagle Heights Brewery and having my beer served at the Platform bar in Brisbane, as did my family and friends.

Of course if you don't like or don't understand the concept of the competition you have the option not to enter.
My gripe is that it,s not open to all brewers :(

Andrew

I think the original post could have been more detailed, but aside from that, sounds like a good comp with a pretty good incentive to win.

stakka82 said:
I think the original post could have been more detailed
Yeah, I'm still wondering what a "beer label" is?

Like a record label? Can I get signed?

beer label is label on beer ;)

I'll open it up next time if its successful this time. We're only just breaking into the other markets at the moment so while it might be fun for non-South Australians its harder to share with your mates if they can't pop down to the local supportive craft pub and grab a pint.

Latest posts

Back