Bintara [brewery Review] Good And Really Bad

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the same experience at Boyntons brewery, the pilsner was just awful, I think poor fermentation with s23 was the culprit, have been too scared to try the Ale which is still in my fridge.

I first went to Bintara in 2005 and sampled all the beers in an afternoon session. They were all of pretty low quality and to this day I cannot bring myself to try another one. Well almost - Some one gave me a Bintara stout which I shuddered in fright about giving it a go but I did....Two mouthfuls swallowed the rest went down the drain. Shame.

I heartily agree and IMHO I happily stand by the statement - Redhill Beers across the board are bloody fantastic - quality, drinkability, enjoyability, flavour...all of them are great. AND I love their seasonals - Temptation being my favourite, Belgian Blonde my next, Xmas stout....hey I just remembered I have a xmas stout (750ml) in the fridge...gotta go no time like the present!

It's a shame when people say "I don't like that micro-brewery crap, I'll stick to Carlton Draught" and they have the right idea :(
There are some good breweries out there that can be shocking inconstant with their beers, each 6 pack is like a lucky dip, will it be the good stuff, or over/under carbed ( I'm looking at you Holgate...) I think this is almost worse than just being crap all the time :)

It's a shame when people say "I don't like that micro-brewery crap, I'll stick to Carlton Draught" and they have the right idea :(
There are some good breweries out there that can be shocking inconstant with their beers, each 6 pack is like a lucky dip, will it be the good stuff, or over/under carbed ( I'm looking at you Holgate...) I think this is almost worse than just being crap all the time :)

I guess that means you get your beer perfect every time? It is an art and a craft and sadly sometimes hit and miss. I recently had a Mountain Goat that went down the drain as it was way over carbonated - something that you would think you wouldnt get from them or Holgate etc and frustrating when you do. Probably makes the good stuff all the better and the truth is the inconsistent beers are far and fewer between than the just plain bad.

I guess that means you get your beer perfect every time? It is an art and a craft and sadly sometimes hit and miss. I recently had a Mountain Goat that went down the drain as it was way over carbonated - something that you would think you wouldnt get from them or Holgate etc and frustrating when you do. Probably makes the good stuff all the better and the truth is the inconsistent beers are far and fewer between than the just plain bad.
I never meant to imply my beer was perfect, it's not even close to theirs, that's why I keep buying :)
It's just particularly with Holgate it seems I'll buy one six pack, it will be perfect, the next time not quite so good, the next time perfect. Very frustrating for one of the best micros around.

May be they are working on the theory that you can sell one beer to every customer they will make money but damn they must be shocking reading some of the testimonies I dont think they will be getting any repeat clientel. The scotsman nearly made me piss myself , smellly paddle pops. Happpy brewing Greg :lol:

Bintara, Bridge Rd & Bright Brewery are only a short drive for me. I would score them out of 10 as 2,9,6 respectively.

I have only been to Bintara in their new location (out of town) and thought their focus was more on the food/tourism thing
rather than the beer.

I tried to make homebrewer small talk with the person I thought had most to do with the brewing and was underwhelmed. They
have some nice bling but the serving tanks are 10m from the taps and the lines run across the roof to a little island bar. This
in itself is not a problem but the beer seems to be a secondary consideration.

On a positive note, I saw a pallet of Joe White and knowing I was short at home asked if I could buy a bag. "No problem" was
the answer. "How much?" asks me. "Don't know" says the 'brewer'. In the end we agreed on a price and I drove home with
some grain.

The beer is pretty much shite. I think it is more from a lack of technical knowhow (dry yeasts for the lager, huge serving
tanks that must sit for months before they are emptied, litres sitting in those suspended lines at ambient temps for ages and
a complete disregard for the normal CIP practices that are the foundation of a great micro.

If you want great beer (the usual pale ales, porters etc but also saisons, bier de gardes) and only have three days to visit the
three micro's.......spend all three days in Beechworth.

No affiliation etc.....

Cheers,
smudge

I read the other week in our local paper that they are no longer brewing beer.

According to the owner they conducted "marketing research" which apparently told them that there was no money to be made in the beer side of the business!

Of course, it couldn't be anything to do with the shite they're trying to pass off as beer could it? :unsure:

Since you can speak from actual experience of their products, why don`t you let them know?
Keep us informed of their reply.

stagga.
since this thread has arisen again...

i did inform them stagga. got a generic BS reply.

which according to ritherglen rambler is a moot point now as they have given up brewing.

since this thread has arisen again...

i did inform them stagga. got a generic BS reply.

which according to ritherglen rambler is a moot point now as they have given up brewing.
They probably thought they were doing allrite till you told them otherwise :lol:

stagga.

Back