Big Helga Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyedwards

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have had a good look and search on the forum but could not locate one, so, does anyone have a recipie for Big Helga.
I use all grain, BIAB. Please also indicate which yeast you used and how much starter you made up.
TIA

This will hopefully help in formulating a recipe.

Last summer it was Fat Yak, this year its Big Helga is a pattern emerging with names of new Matilda Bay brands? Not really, says Matilda Bay head brewer Scott Vincent. Coming up with a name is often a lot harder than brewing the beer. Vincent says the new brew started life as a rough recipe scribbled on the back of a beer coaster. We wanted to brew a German helles/Oktoberfest style but with the herbaceousness you get from dry-hopping in the fermenter. Rather than employing a classic German hop, Vincent chose Pacifica, a New Zealand-grown relative of Hersbrucker. I liked the freshly-cut grass aroma notes, he says. Like Fat Yak, we want to attract people to our brands and them get them onto things like Dogbolter and Alpha Pale Ale. The new summer release is a tap-only beer at this stage. If it catches on well look at a February release for packaged Big Helga. TASTING NOTES MATILDA BAY BIG HELGA (4.7%) Medium gold, creamy head, trails of tiny bubbles. Aroma: clean, malty. Palate: malt-driven palate shows hints of phenolic wheat; finish is understated some floral hop notes. Overall: a summer quaffer.

Source
http://www.microbrewing.com.au/news/articles/337.html

Thanks, I have been down to the "garage" and have spoken to Scott a few times. I never thought to actually take note of what he put into his brews, but then again I was not AG at that stage.

Thanks for the advice.

If Scott is the brewer, ask him if the yeast is WYEAST #2633

QldKev

If Scott is the brewer, ask him if the yeast is WYEAST #2633

QldKev

I should have, but seeing as my mate who was a Fosters rep (yes Matilda Bay is owned by Fosters) is not working for Fosters anymore, I dont think i will get the chance. What the heck, could always throw in #2633 and see what transpires.....

Back