Biab Wit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyoung

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker here and first time poster (I think...). I've just started doing partials and got the bug to have a shot at a brew in the bag wit with white flour (similar I suppose to Graham Sander's tropical flower wit). Does anyone know if this recipe lends itself to the BIAB method? If not, does anyone have suggestions on a good starter recipe for this style/method? Ideally a small batch to start with so I can get the feel for it.

Cheers,

Tim

Hey Tim,

You should have no problems brewing this BIAB style. It will probably be easier BIAB than with a traditions mash since there is no sparge and with no husk from the wheat flour it will be very gummy.

And nice choice on the recipe, its damn tasty :chug:

Thanks for that....

I recall reading that the wheat malt is mashed first then the barley is added afterwards and then you bump up the temp. How do you achieve this in BIAB or do you open the bag 1/2 way through and add more ingredients?? I should probably read the BIAB sticky.....

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

From what I remember of Graham's method for mashing wheat flour, he does a separate Beta Glucan mash for the flour before he mixes it in with his main (Barley) mash.

Guessing at a reasonable (rough) process for doing it BIAB style, I would say you could....

Work out the total amount of water needed for your brew (pre-boil volume plus 0.75L/kg of grain) - Call it (A) litres
Work out how much water you need to do a Glucan mash with your amount of flour - Call it (B) litres

In you main BIAB vessel, put an amount of water equal to (A) - (B) ... this is the water for you main mash heat it up to 57C

While the water in your main pot is heating... (in a separate pot, it doesn't need to be all that big) do the Glucan mash with (B) litres of water and your flour etc... however it is that Graham says to do it... I think it takes about 30mins???

When the Glucan thingo is nearly done... mash your Barley into your main vessel (and of course the bag) give it a good stir, it should settle in at about 56C .... then tip the flour mash into the main mash and stir it in, hopefully this will knock the whole lot down to about 55C.

Immediately turn your heat on (not too high) and while constantly stirring, bring your mash up to your desired sachrification rest... complete the mash and lauter as per standard (or your preferred) BIAB methods. Boil etc as per everybody's methods.

You mention having to open and close the bag. Nope, the bag stays open for the whole process (do read the BIAB sticky or perhaps check out my description of how to BIAB here)

Good luck with it. If you decide to give it a go, let us know how your brewday went.

Cheers

Thirsty

Latest posts

Back