BIAB Weissbier (more banana, light colour)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is the final recipe... any adjustments?

BIAB Weissbier (generic)

Grain:
2160g Total Grain
1080g Wheat Malt 50% (Weyermann Floor Malted Wheat if available)
1080g Pilsnet Malt 50% (Bohemian Floor Malted Pilsner if available)

Water plan:
17.48l mash
02.00l sparge
17.75l preboil wort
11.00l postboil wort

Mash:
55°C protein rest: 10 min
63°C maltose rest: 45 min
72°C saccharification rest: 30 min

Boil 90':
60' 14.35g Hallertauer
10' 50g dextrose <-- is this really necessary with the mash plan I scheduled? or should I make a simple 60' mash at 67º without mashout or anything else and add this? or both things?
10' 1/2 tablet Deltafloc

Estimated Gravity / ABV: OG: 1.049 SG - FG: 1.012 SG - ABV: 4.85 % ????

Yeast: W68 White Labs WLP300 @ 18ºC

Primary Fermentation: 7-8 days @ 16-24°C

Priming sugar (dextrose): 3.9g per 33cl bottle.

Carbonation: Rest in the bottle for 2 weeks @ 18-20°C

Priming sugar calculations:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
Amount Being Packaged: 0.33l
Volumes of CO2: 3.6Vol.
Temperature of Beer: 18ºC

CO2 in Beer: 0.92 volumes
Dextrose: 3.9g

Water calculations:
http://www.biabcalculator.com/
Grain Bill 2160g
Grain Temp 18ºC
Batch Size 10l
Mash Temp 55ºC
Boil Time 90'
Kettle Size 20l
Trub 1l
BoilOff Rate 4,5l/h
Grain Absorption 0,8l/kg of grain

Total Water Needed 19.48l
Strike Water Temp 55ºC
Total Mash Volume 20.92l
PreBoil Wort 17.75l
PostBoil Wort 11.00l

Go for simple this time, just mash at 66 or 67C. Do the step mash next time if you want. I've brewed very wheats that way.
I'm brewing a Hefeweizen at the moment and did the 3 step mash, bit I'm retired so have all day.
3400 gr Wheat 1600 gr Pilsner 18 IBU Tettnang at 60 minutes. WY3068.
That's it. Simple.

Go for simple this time, just mash at 66 or 67C. Do the step mash next time if you want. I've brewed very wheats that way.
I'm brewing a Hefeweizen at the moment and did the 3 step mash, bit I'm retired so have all day.
3400 gr Wheat 1600 gr Pilsner 18 IBU Tettnang at 60 minutes. WY3068.
That's it. Simple.
How many liters is your batch? 19?
Thanks!

25 litres.
My mash efficiency is always over 90% so you need to work to your own system.

Do hefe's have a tendency to go sour/tart? Ive had 2 go sour on me and Ive had a commercial version that was sour as well. It wasnt a berliner in case your wondering.

I think youre on the money with the latest recipe. Ive got a weizen in the fv at the moment. I used a 50/50 wheat to maris otter grain bill with tetnang at 60 and 30 to 15 IBUs. I did a single infusion mash at 67 and fermented with 3068 at 18.5. Its my first attemlt at a wheat too so I wanted to keep it simple.

It fully fermented out in about 4 days and Ill bottle it after 12 in primary. Im just tossing up on the vols of co2 now...

Good luck with yours!

I think youre on the money with the latest recipe. Ive got a weizen in the fv at the moment. I used a 50/50 wheat to maris otter grain bill with tetnang at 60 and 30 to 15 IBUs. I did a single infusion mash at 67 and fermented with 3068 at 18.5. Its my first attemlt at a wheat too so I wanted to keep it simple.

It fully fermented out in about 4 days and Ill bottle it after 12 in primary. Im just tossing up on the vols of co2 now...

Good luck with yours!
Great! Keep me updated! By the time you open one I will be about to brew.. jeje

I had an idea for not having to weight the sugar 30 times, what if you buy a sjeringe, cut the front with a dremel (or whatever) and use the plunger to measure the volume of the first dose weighted properly to 3.9g (or the measure you need), then you can make a mark on it and continue using this tool as an "adjustable scoop" instead of having to weigth every single dose for every single bottle..

Great! Keep me updated! By the time you open one I will be about to brew.. jeje

I had an idea for not having to weight the sugar 30 times, what if you buy a sjeringe, cut the front with a dremel (or whatever) and use the plunger to measure the volume of the first dose weighted properly to 3.9g (or the measure you need), then you can make a mark on it and continue using this tool as an "adjustable scoop" instead of having to weigth every single dose for every single bottle..

I always bulk prime in a second FV, its heaps easier.

fletcher suggestion:
35% Wheat malt
35% Pale malt
30% Munich malt

why so little wheat, fletcher?

i'm terribly terribly sorry mate. my percentages were completely off. my wheat beer was:

65% wheat
30% pale
5% munich

not 30. i was a little sleepy this morning and gave the wrong info. sorry!

Do hefe's have a tendency to go sour/tart? Ive had 2 go sour on me and Ive had a commercial version that was sour as well. It wasnt a berliner in case your wondering.

No. Wheat beer may have a light tart character but increasing sourness is indicative of something else.

i'm terribly terribly sorry mate. my percentages were completely off. my wheat beer was:

65% wheat
30% pale
5% munich

not 30. i was a little sleepy this morning and gave the wrong info. sorry!
Thanks mate!

No. Wheat beer may have a light tart character but increasing sourness is indicative of something else.

My brewing practices most likely:thumbsdown:. Cheers manticle. I thought maybe it was a yeast characteristic but wishful thinking. Ive ditched some plastic fermenters since then.

25 litres.
My mash efficiency is always over 90% so you need to work to your own system.

I've tried to estimate my efficiency and it's being quite difficult... I've only brewed 3 times. The first one I din't even use the hydrometer, so no info from that, the second one I did a complicated multi-step mash and I've calculated 69% efficiency, the third one I did a simple single infussion at 67º for 60', mashout at 75.5º for 10' and a 2.5l sparge and I got 58% efficiency!!!
This is so bad...
So for reaching OG 1049 and FG 1012 (average data extracted from other weissbier recipes I found online) having a 65% efficiency I will need to increase the amount of grain from 2160 to 2400g for a final amount of 10l of beer...

The only reason why my OG was close to the recipe estimated value is because in all three batches I misscalculated the boiloff rate and I got less beer in the end than expected... I guess my guiness-like stout turned out being good by luck.

What is the average brewing efficiency in BIAB ?

I will update the recipe setting a "bad-to-neutral" efficiency of 65%... :( but again, if I do the different mash (in 3 times) maybe I'm going to get more and my beer will be too strong, or maybe I do it worse and my beer will be watery... :S this thing is difficult!
What I need is more experience... I will have to brew more frequently ;P

I'm getting low efficiency, but I'm not milling well at the moment. If you get the mill setting right, it'll go up.

Mine's about 65-70% or so with BIAB in an urn.

I'm getting low efficiency, but I'm not milling well at the moment. If you get the mill setting right, it'll go up.

Mine's about 65-70% or so with BIAB in an urn.

I have my grain milled professionally and I'm way under your efficiency...

Best advice I can give you is to put your location in your profile, and see if there is a brewclub near you.
I'm sure one or more members will be more than willing to sit in one one of your brewdays, or have you sit in on one of theirs.
Observing the process takes a lot of the mystique out of it. Brewing really is quite a simple process but, human nature being what it is, we like to complicate things.
You can make perfectly good beer with a simple 60 min one step infusion mash without all the fancy steps.
I don't BIAB, but use a 3V system which I've dialed in over the last 10 years, and I mill my own grains. Your efficiency will go up once you settle into your system and fine tune it.

Completed recipe adapted to my shitty efficiency with proper calculations using real data from my supplier:

BIAB Weissbier (generic)

Grain:
2600g Total Grain
1300g Wheat Malt 3.4EBC/1.9L
1300g Weyermann Pilsner malt. 3.5EBC/1.9L

Water plan:
17.33l mash
02.50l sparge (over the bag)
17.75l preboil wort
11.00l postboil wort

Mash:
55°C protein rest: 10 min
63°C maltose rest: 45 min
72°C saccharification rest: 30 min

Boil 90':
60' 11.86g Hallertauer Hops pellets, average alpha acid 4.6%
or
60' 17.60g Tettnanger hops pellets average alpha acid 3.1%

10' 50g dextrose
10' 1/2 tablet Deltafloc

Estimated Gravity / ABV: OG: 1.049 SG - FG: 1.014 SG - ABV: 4.59%

Yeast: W68 White Labs WLP300 @ 18ºC
Hefeweizen Ale Yeast WLP300 72-76% Low 68-72 °F Medium

Primary Fermentation: 7-8 days @ 16-24°C

Priming sugar (dextrose): 3.9g per 33cl bottle.

Carbonation: Rest in the bottle for 2 weeks @ 18-20°C

------------------ Efficiency/Grain calculations:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/allgrain-ogfg/
Wort Collected (pre-boil): 17.7l
Batch Size (after boil): 11l
Efficiency: 65%
Yeast Alcohol Tolerance *: Medium attenuation 72%
Grain
1.3kg Wheat
1.3kg Bohemian Pilsnet
Estimated Pre Boil OG: 1.030
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.049
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014
Estimated Alcohol By Volume:4.60%

------------------ Water calculations:
http://www.biabcalculator.com/
Grain Bill 2600g
Grain Temp 18ºC
Batch Size 10l
Mash Temp 55ºC
Boil Time 90'
Kettle Size 20l
Trub 1l
BoilOff Rate 4,5l/h
Grain Absorption 0,8l/kg of grain

Total Water Needed 19.83l
Strike Water Temp 55ºC
Total Mash Volume 21.56l
PreBoil Wort 17.75l
PostBoil Wort 11.00l

------------------ IBU calculations:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/
Boil Size: 17.7l
Batch Size: 11l (1l of turb)
Target Original Gravity (OG): 1.049

Hallertauer Hops pellets, average alpha acid 4.6%, 60', 11.86g
Estimated Boil Gravity: 1.030
Total IBU: 15.00

Tettnanger hops pellets average alpha acid 3.1%, 60', 17.60g
Estimated Boil Gravity: 1.030
Total IBU: 15.00

------------------ Priming sugar calculations:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
Amount Being Packaged: 0.33l
Volumes of CO2: 3.6Vol.
Temperature of Beer: 18ºC

CO2 in Beer: 0.92 volumes
Dextrose: 3.9g

------------------ OG,FG,ABV calculations:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014
Alcohol By Volume: 4.59%
Apparent Attenuation: 71%
Calories: 151 per 33cl bottle
Original Gravity: 12.15 °P, 1.049
Final Gravity: 3.57 °P, 1.014

Last edited:
i won't lie, i feel like you're over-complicating it a lot and trying to make it perfect. it's just my take on it. you're entitled to do what you will but if i were you, i'd just brew it as you have it now and record your numbers and results, and brew it again to fine tune it - however many times you like! at worst, you'll have a nice beer. at best, you'll have an amazing beer.

i won't lie, i feel like you're over-complicating it a lot and trying to make it perfect. it's just my take on it. you're entitled to do what you will but if i were you, i'd just brew it as you have it now and record your numbers and results, and brew it again to fine tune it - however many times you like! at worst, you'll have a nice beer. at best, you'll have an amazing beer.
I'm an engineer, I like complicated things.

To be honest, there was a point when I thought it was very easy, other when I thought it was complicated, and now, after having tried 3 times and studied a little I realize is not that much, once everything is understood it's just a matter of experience... So, you're right what I need is keep on doing it and get the "manual skills"... That's exactly what I'm going to do, now that I'm happy with the numbers, brew it! Take notes and try to improve it next time.

Last time I went crazy preparing it and ended up making very basic mistakes. I hope this time I'm more focused while brewing and I achieve a nice weissbier. Otherwise I will enjoy it as much because I will have made it myself! It's very rewarding!

I'm going on vacation, so I will brew this in a couple of weeks... i'll keep you updated!

Thank you all

Latest posts

Back