Biab - twist and hoist?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I think i am damnned close to doing my first BIAB, just need to dedicate the time.

my bag at this stage is simply a round piece of voile with the edge burnt a little to hopefully stop fraying.

i'll most likely get one sewn up at some point (mum's on holidays so my sewing resources are out of the country for a while)

any tips for a twist/tie/hoist method, or just figure it out myself? I was thinking a cable tie might gather it all together fairly well? or a shoelace or something? am I on the right track?

cheers

Assuming there's enough bag, why not just tie it in a knot? That's all I used to do, worked fine.

Then I'd tie the rope for my sky hook around the bag, just below the knot in the bag. I actually used a dog leash clip and made a loop in the rope and wrapped that around the bag below the knot.

Edit: just don't tie the bag knot too tight or it's a bitch to get untied again.

All I have done is gather all the edges together in one hand and put a slip knot over the "neck" of the bag twice, and hoist. I find that it untwists if twisted, but rope around twice holds it all together safely.
Lemon

I used to use a klemheist knot, its easy to do, and gives me a loop to work with for attaching to a pulley.

Looking at some of the other ideas though, they're a lot simpler :unsure:

I use a gas lift bar stool instead of a hoist. Lift the stool up to max height, tie the bag to a fixed rope so it's taught and when I want to lift I push the bar stool down to it's lowest height, thus lifting the bag :)

easy :D

Latest posts

Back