BIAB.....to....?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For brewers who have been making AG beer for over a year, if you began your AG brewing using BIAB, a

• Still using BIAB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brewing using 3 vessel

• Using a Brau or similar device

• Using a RIMS or HERMS system

• Using something else

• Total voters
2V then 3V Rims.
Moved on to Biab in an urn.
Looking to get a 100lt pot so I can do bigger batch Biab. Tri clover sanitary fittings on this vessel.
Considering 3V or Braumeister if going over 100lt batches but that's just a paper plan at the moment pending a cash injection from the folks or the three stooges that constantly visit & drink my beer.

felten said:
Started out with BIAB, can't see myself changing anytime soon.
+1, only thing I'd do is upgrade from my 50L keg to a 100L SS pot for bigger batches :kooi:
I'm a believer of it it aint broke don't fix it.......my BIAB system is definitely not broken.
Cheers

What's BIAB? I've never heard it mentioned on AHB before.

Cocko said:
It means Brew Inferior Ales Be'Arch!

Well as far as I understand.... :ph34r: :p

hahaha nice try cocko. It means Brew in A Bag, look it up. It also means brew as good or if not better beers than 3v,herms,rims..... and it costs 1/3 of the price and space :lol:
please don't let that start an all out war :ph34r:

I think of BIAB like when I was riding a bike with trainer wheels - "at the time I was the coolest kid in the world, did everything the older kids were doing and having fun, cool as bro"......
Now, as a 3V herms grown up, I feel like the parent watching the BIAB sconegrabber, "going for it" and yelling out encouragement ... "Oh you're doing so well, keep up the good work" .... :icon_vomit:
<_<
Cheers
BBB

eddy22 said:
hahaha nice try cocko. It means Brew in A Bag, look it up. It also means brew as good or if not better beers than 3v,herms,rims..... and it costs 1/3 of the price and space :lol:
please don't let that start an all out war :ph34r:

All in good fun mate..

BIAB is by far the ultimate way to get into full mash brewing,[ Carnie?] and as Bribie has proven, can produce award winning beers!

That said, since I have gone with a recirculating system, my beers have not so much improved in flavour or changed from Good to great BUT the little things like, head retention, lacing, clarity and ability to design, regarding body and efficiency have improved 10 fold. Again, not questioning or bagging BIAB.. Just saying from experience and nothing else... as thats all I know.

BTW: Do you think a member of now 5+ years is being serious when he asks what BIAB means? :p

Cocko said:
All in good fun mate..

BIAB is by far the ultimate way to get into full mash brewing,[ Carnie?] and as Bribie has proven, can produce award winning beers!

That said, since I have gone with a recirculating system, my beers have not so much improved in flavour or changed from Good to great BUT the little things like, head retention, lacing, clarity and ability to design, regarding body and efficiency have improved 10 fold. Again, not questioning or bagging BIAB.. Just saying from experience and nothing else... as thats all I know.

BTW: Do you think a member of now 5+ years is being serious when he asks what BIAB means? :p
Yeah I don't doubt you, maybe one day i'll travel across to 3v....untill then though

and ill be honest I really couldn't tell if he was or wasn't. I battle to read sarcasm without expression if you know what I mean.
Cheers

I am still BIAB, i quite like my 2.5 hour brew sessions...

The only reason i will change, is if i decide to go for bigger batches... But i like to have a bit of variety on tap... i can nail out 3 brews to fill all 3 taps in a day... (when i stay sober enough)

Cocko said:

Yep, Bribie indeed blazed a path in competition back in the bad old days, his trophy cabinet is overflowing! Lately the method took out Champion Beer of Show, at least 2 * 1st and a whole host of placings at AABC 2012, altogether this should be evidence enough to convince even the most rabid sceptic.

Fiddling with all of those characteristics isn't quite as simple with the stock BIAB process as it can be a bit of a straightjacket, nonetheless
there ways and means to cover off on most things with some of the BIAB variations, mainly adapting the conventional methodology, so with decoction, stepped mash, mash thickness, recirculation etc.

BIAB now offers all- grain to a far greater range of novice brewers due in part to the significant expense involved with the more traditional systems, but the results aren't necessarily cheap and nasty.

Back