Biab Is Taking Off

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Following that link in the first post, what has Vorlauf got to do with BIAB?

Otherwise I think quite a few Americans are getting into BIAB. In the UK mashing in a bag in an electric vessel such as a Bruheat, then running the wort and spargings into another vessel, hoisting the bag and pouring the runnings back into the electric vessel for the boil has been happening for the last 30 years at least. It's a bit different to Aussie BIAB because our method is a full volume method using equipment like 40L urns.

The Bruheat - and other brands now available - is only a 25L plastic 'urn' so sparging and a second vessel is required so their method is not quite as straightforward.
I made some great beers that way in my younger days.

Edit: great article by our Thirsty Boy.... I wonder which guy he is in the photos? I like the look of the bald dude better rather than the volleyball player :)

As those who have progressed via their State Comps to the Nationals (dr K missed out this year) are aware, BIAB is listed as form of brew along with MiniMash, Extract, Kit and of course All Grain..any in there?

K

Is BIAB listed as a separate form from AG? That's a shame, should be at least a subclass of....

I think it will be interesting as a comparison to see how the different techniques are represented. As many know, the BOS a few years ago was a kits and bits brew.
It's optional to put it on the entry form, but I hope we get as much info as possible, although it could get out of hand if you had different catagories for herms, rims, fly sparged, no chilled etc.
As BIAB is taking off, I guess this is a way to validate it as mashing method.

Is BIAB listed as a separate form from AG? That's a shame, should be at least a subclass of....

i guess i would argue that it should merely be recognised as AG, the powers that be, however, think otherwise, as, indeed they do with no-chill. is there a reason why no chill or biab should be treated differently?? are either or both mehods not considered AG ? is there a conspiracy?

I think there is a separate listing just so that the question ... "any BIAB or no-chill beers in the nationals??" can actually be answered. An information gathering exercise rather than horrible horrible discrimination.

Guess we will find out in a week if any of them take a place.

Bribie - yep, bald and glasses. The other guy is my mate Col who has been BIAB ever since and to my knowledge is the first person to do BIAB in an urn. He's been Urn BIABing since a few months after I originally posted that Brewing Network thread.

I agree - it should be a sublass or subcategory or be irrelevant as it's definielty an All Grain method (do they disinguish between fly and batch sparging?)

However things have to start somewhere and being included is a beginning, not an end.

Doesn't Katzke (US forum member) BIAB?

HERMS or BIAB! man, too many choices. I'm goin to have to find a pillowcase and try it out at least...

(I have been doing a lot of reading over the last couple of weeks).

PistolPatch can go on and on a bit can't he...

Lefty

The point being, and I guess the point that I thought I made clear is that (despite your personal ideas about BIAB as a process, or indeed no-chill) both methods, whether in conjunction or a seperate processes are still All GRAIN.
There may be a seperate thread/link discussing the BIAB/Nochill beers that went through and I have no doubt that are many, but I would most strenuously opine that no prospective judge or steward in the Nats would read that thread, purely on the basis that any chance for any form of discrimination, whether positive or negative (depending on the fence line) and whether deliberate or incidental should to the best efforts of the judge or steward be "cut off at the pass".
My views on BIAB are well known to those who choose to know, as are , again by those who choose to know, my views on judging and competitions.

K

The yanks are getting into it as well as no chill - there's been lots of talk by the regulars on the homebrewtalk chatroom.

Have a couple in the Nats and gladly ticked the BIAB and NOCHILL boxes as, AFAIK, this is not visible to the judges but is an information gathering device only.
It's an honour that BIAB has shaken the towers of the mighty to the extent that stats are now going to be collected. And if in years to come BIAB doesn't fulfill its promise, in its current form, then the stats might point the way to introducing further tweaks and refinements. A work and an art in progress.

What tweaks you ask. Well in the UK where a basically BIAB two vessel system has been popular for decades you can now get a wort recirculation pump device that mimics HERMS but using a bag, as well as a hydraulic powered fly sparging arm....... the potential experiments and trials are endless.

:icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

The point being, and I guess the point that I thought I made clear is that (despite your personal ideas about BIAB as a process, or indeed no-chill) both methods, whether in conjunction or a seperate processes are still All GRAIN.

A point I agree 100% with. Sometimes not so sure if I'm clear either.

Back