Biab In An Urn - Camping Mat, What Type?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacknohe

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm getting closer to embarking on the BIABIAU (BIAB in an urn) journey. I've read a number of posts referring to wrapping a camping mat around the urn for insulation. I've seen a few at Big W and K-mart etc.

Just wondering if anyone can comment on what is the best? Or just as important, what type to avoid due to melting or any other issue?

Thanks

JN

Avoid the ones that look like a long piece of foam. i.e these ones
3405712A63UC139801M.jpg

Instead look for ones like this
yoga_mat.jpg

I bought some of that by the metre at Clark rubber and used in on both my urn and also my keggle mashtun....

Pollux - any reason for the 2nd one rather than the first? Those look a fair bit thinner.

I have the first one and I'm having no problems with it.

id be going the first after seeing it in action.

Edit: this was on a conventional keg mash tun not an urn

I had an issue once with a BIAB bag that dripped wort between the urn and the mat, that was when I had the first type and it melted to the urn.

I also find the second type easier to clean. I personally have my mat for the urn just held on with a length of elastic, while the mashtun is cocooned in duct tape over the top of the mat.

This is just my opinion of course.

The first type is cheap enough from $2 shops etc.. that you can buy one and test a corner of it on a boiling pot. If its melty... forget it and go with the other.. but I'd test it too.

The second option looks like yoga mats... and I've only every seen quite expensive ones. Maybe its not expensive from Clark rubber though (Pollux?)

I use the bubble foam in foil on my kettle... but its only a kettle not a mash tun too, so it doesn't need to work as well. It doesn't melt though and is an option.

I am contemplating the design of an insulation device for my urn which will be two pieces of heavy duty fabric sewn together as a pocket, with 6inch vertical ribbings sewn in, each of which will be stuffed with bean bag beans, and then plastic backpack buckles attached so I can easily clip it on & off. The whole lot would be sprayed with waterproofing like scotchguard or some sort of silicone spray. Obviously this is more labour intensive than simply a yoga mat, but you can never have too much brewing bling, right ? It will make the urn look like its wearing a bulletproof vest. I have lots of fabric bits & peices around, and a sewing machine, and some leftover beans.

I tried to find the product on their website, but it doesn't appear to be there....

From memory it was more costly than the foam stuff, but not too expensive.

I am contemplating the design of an insulation device for my urn which will be two pieces of heavy duty fabric sewn together as a pocket, with 6inch vertical ribbings sewn in, each of which will be stuffed with bean bag beans, and then plastic backpack buckles attached so I can easily clip it on & off. The whole lot would be sprayed with waterproofing like scotchguard or some sort of silicone spray. Obviously this is more labour intensive than simply a yoga mat, but you can never have too much brewing bling, right ? It will make the urn look like its wearing a bulletproof vest. I have lots of fabric bits & peices around, and a sewing machine, and some leftover beans.

IMO the perfect urn lagging would be...

* Thinish outer layer that's semi-permanently attached. It's purpose is to reduce heat loss during the boil / when trying to hit strike temps etc.
* A semi-rigid cylindrical cover that you can slip over the urn during the mash and take off after the mash. This should be as good at insulating as possible.

I have done the first bit fine but for the second bit use a blanket. I'd really love to have something better for the second bit. Something like a giant foam stubbie holder for example!

Ok, thanks guys. I'll start looking around. I think I've seen some camping mats that are textured like the Yoga style mats. I'll also check out Clarks rubber too.

I've been considering this too for the Mash. I might get SWMBO to come with me to Spotlight or something and get some materials. Instead of Bean Bag beans, I'm thinking of a tailored bag with some sort of blanket or polar fleece material on the inside that would just slip over the urn + rubber mat. Hmm maybe even a zip down one side so I can put it over easily, then zip it for a snug fit. :D

I had an issue once with a BIAB bag that dripped wort between the urn and the mat, that was when I had the first type and it melted to the urn.

This happened to me too! It comes off easily enough with soapy water and a kitchen scourer though.

Ive since stopped using a camping mat and just wrap a feather doona around the urn, then rope it up and I havent noticed any real difference in temperature drops.

Before I moved to gas (from electric), I used corrugated cardboard from a fridge shipping box, with some 3mm camping mat around the outside of that when I could be bothered. Anything that stuck or oozed into the cardboard could be thrown away with the cardboard.

It was surprisingly cost-effective.

I use a few of these (without the girl inside):
78-2-m.jpg
OM_wraphotpink_lg.JPG

The elastic holds them on easily, they wrap around and are an ideal size, and when finished they go in the washing machine to clean off any gunk spilled over the top - and are also good for cleaning up after brew-day is finished too.

What do you do with all the leftover girls??

Latest posts

Back