BIAB doubts small Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinicius

Reaction score
Hi, I'll make a 4 litres batch using the BIAB method. How many litres I need to put in my pot? My pot (7.6L capacity).

Thanks.

Hi, I'll make a 4 litres batch using the BIAB method. How many litres I need to put in my pot? My pot (7.6L capacity).

Thanks.
I would guess 6l it's hard to say because we don't know how much water your grain will soak up and how much water you will lose in the boil. Are you going to sparge? Because that will boost your preboil volume if not you could top up.

Keep records of all your volumes, weights and temps it should only take a few batches to get every thing perfect for your system :)

Yep, you need to give more info. The L:G (Liquor (water) to Grain ratio) determines the OG if you aren't sparging, the amount of water taken up in the expended malt is going to depend on the amount of malt (mostly)… It's all interrelated.
Wort volume is expressed as 'Cold Wort Volume" (~20oC) so if you want 4L to the fermenter you also need to have a target OG.
Work out exactly what you want to get at the end and you can get a very good estimate of what you need to put in at the start.
One free tip. Little pots on a stove will boil off a lot faster than you expect, we normally look for around a 10% reduction in the wort volume in a one hour boil, keep an eye on you could easily hit 50% if you cranked the stove up to full bore.
Mark

Thanks.
Do you specifically want a 4 litre batch, or is that what you think you can get away with in your 7.6 Litre pot? There are things you could do to make a bigger batch than 4 litres.

Latest posts

Back