BIAB Crown 40 concealed element SS internal hoist pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McFeast

Reaction score
Has anyone that uses the Crown 40 litre urn found a pot that would fit inside the urn to replace the bag? I am sick of using the crappy bags and want a proper replacement.
I noticed these (https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/brewing-equipment-pots-and-hardware/other-nested-aluminium-60/40l-pots-for-single-vessel-brewing) and am wondering if the sew ould be worth they've to gas if there is no decent substitute for the bag with the crown urn...
What do you guys use of you feel the same about the shitty bags?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how wide an urn is, but I used a 19L BigW pot in my 1V to replace the bag.

Define "shitty bags".

I'd agree with you about some of the messy and often badly designed bags out there but:

A sheet of voile cut into a big circle and throttled with a noose and hung from a skyhook is simplicty itself and is simple to dispose of the contents into the garden bed, flap and shake then into a bucket of napisan.

I've done experiments with inner-vessels and find that, whilst they work, it's difficult to squeeze the grain for max extraction, although you can do a mini sparge.

Thanks qldkev. Yeah Bribie I remember reading your posts on your testing. I must have one of the bigger bags cause I always make such a bloody mess squeezing the damn thing. Regardless of whether I squeeze directly into the urn or use a sparge bucket. The bag's getting pretty worn out now (my bag is a biab draw string one and I only ever do 4-6kg grain bills).
I guess this sort of question is no doubt leading to the bigger thought of changing methods from single vessel as well....... Uhoh.

Nev (Gryphon Brewing) used to sell a great bag. Doesn't look like he does now.

Big W pot will fit a Birko urn, but I believe the Crown is narrower and taller and may not fit.

One thing to note with using a pot is draw through the perforated bottom. With a bag you can pump/stir and move the higher concentration wort out of the grain bed. With a pot, you will need to draw it through the bed out the bottom which may be slower than you expect.

There was a lad in Ireland selling BIAB bags. Don't have a link though.

Alternatively, do as Bribie says. get a sheet of voile, cut a circle and use a crude method of raising. When the bag is buggered, chuck it and cut a new circle.

Lots of people have tried to improve the bag in BIAB (myself included), but ultimately most go back to it due to the complexities of other methods. The bag is simple and it works.

Yeah I think you are bang on tapas. Thanks for your post. The simplicity in equipment needed quickly disappears when you step away from the bag. I saw pumps, false bottoms, and 3V systems when I read your post. :)

Cheers guys appreciate your help.

Nev at Gryphon used to sell bags hand made by a rellie, I had one and it was excellent, but when the price dropped out of the market due to another supplier coming in, he discontinued them.

The guy in Ireland is Eionmag or something similar, you'll find him on the Biabrewer. info site.

His Mrs makes them, well constructed apparently.

Re the circle of voile, I have two - the older one is coming up to its third year and shows no signs of wearing out.

Latest posts

Back