BIAB control unit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heath72

Reaction score
Hi brewers,
Can anyone see any issue with the following parts list for a 1v brewing set up? I've taken the parts list from eBrewing.com and just changed the 110v components to 240v.

Basic Kit Hardware

4 - LEDs (1 white 240v, 1 blue 240v, 1 red 240v, and 1 green 240)

1 - 2-Way Switches with NO Contact for pump (off-on)

1 - 2-Way Yellow/Orange LED Toggle switch for element contactor (off-on)

1 - Additional NO Contacts for back of 3 way switches

1 - Key toggle Switch for panel on/off

2 - 63a DIN Contactors w/ 240v Coils for main power & element control

1 - 40a Solid State Relays for control of element

1 – Small external pre-drilled and tapped heat sink for element SSR

1 - 1/2m cut of DIN rail or pre-installed piece in pre-cut enclosures

Terminal Blocks

2 POLE 25AMP 6KA 30MA RCD/MCB COMBO Terminal block anchoring ends

Terminal block anchoring ends

Terminal block end covers

Terminal block connecting jumpers

Enclosure and outlets

1 – Enclosure box

1 – Single Switch Socket Outlet, Panel Mount, 250VAC, 10A for elements

1 – Single Switch Socket Outlet, Panel Mount, 250VAC, 10A for pumps

1 - 10A Clear Plug Top for mains power

1 – XLR Male connectors for temperature input

Tags for panel

Power / Off-On

Stop

Element / Off-On

Element

Pump / Off-On

Pump

Temp Probe

Temperature Controller and probes

PID Controller
PID Timer

1 - 1/2" MPT to 1-1/2" long Temperature Probe

1 - 1/2" NPT Locknuts

1 - 1/2" NPT washer and o-rings

1 – XLR Female connectors for temperature probes

Wiring and wire fittings

main power cable

Black 10 gauge wire

Red 10 gauge wire

Green 10 gauge wire

Black 14 gauge wire

Red 14 gauge wire

White 14 gauge wire

Yellow 14 gauge wire

Blue 14 gauge wire

Red 18 gauge wire

Yellow 18 gauge wire

White 18 gauge wire

#10 Yellow Spade connectors for 10ga wire connections on SSR relays

#6 Blue Spade Connectors for most 240v wiring throughout the panel

#6 Red spade connectors for the low voltage and temp probe wiring

#10 Blue ring connectors for grounding wire on enclosure posts

Cheers

Personally i would just either start with a very basic BIAB setup or buy one the kits like Cheeky Peak sell, you don't need controllers or pumps to to start with.
I built my basic kit over a period of time and even now wouldnt bother with a fancy controlled system, i just dont see the benefits.

Hi H72 The obvious issue with your list of components for a 1V/BIAB system is the retail cost! A 40 amp SSR alone is around $50, have you priced these list items? Do you already have all the other gear needed element, pump, vessel and plumbing?. If not, a complete set up ready to go is only around the $400 plus freight.

Personally i would just either start with a very basic BIAB setup or buy one the kits like Cheeky Peak sell, you don't need controllers or pumps to to start with.
I built my basic kit over a period of time and even now wouldnt bother with a fancy controlled system, i just dont see the benefits.
The Cheeky Peak BIAB system is the one I'm looking at but want a better more reliable controller than the supplied ink bird.

Hi H72 The obvious issue with your list of components for a 1V/BIAB system is the retail cost! A 40 amp SSR alone is around $50, have you priced these list items? Do you already have all the other gear needed element, pump, vessel and plumbing?. If not, a complete set up ready to go is only around the $400 plus freight.
I realize it's not the cheapest road to go down, but this will be my forever setup so for me it out weights the cost. I want to make sure I have everything needed to price up before buying that way I'm not left with a surprise cost.
I'm wanting to transition from a 30L brewzilla to a 50L cheeky peak BIAB system.

I realize it's not the cheapest road to go down, but this will be my forever setup so for me it out weights the cost. I want to make sure I have everything needed to price up before buying that way I'm not left with a surprise cost.
I'm wanting to transition from a 30L brewzilla to a 50L cheeky peak BIAB system.
Ok I understand! The CP Nano vessels are heavy duty and worth chucking a bit more money into your system.

I have a single controller 40 amp SSR. I use to run my HERMS on 3 Vessel system. Also use it on my 2 vessel system AKA Biab.
Very easier to use and store can take it on the road.

Attachments

• Single PID controller.JPG
    Single PID controller.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Back