BIAB a few Q's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverfj1200

Reaction score
Hello, Just picked up a 40L urn and ready to up into my first BIAB. So would like some help.

1 The 3Litres left in the urn. Does this go in my cube or tossed out.

2 will I also lose the bottom few litres from the cube to the fermenter.

Thanks

I don't cube, I chill in the kettle but still some people like to take the all the runnings including the crud and what not into the cube/fermenter, others like to leave it. Personally I just like to take it up until it becomes all crud going in...so in other words I take a little. Again if you were weary of what went it to the cube I wouldn't be concerned about filtering it again going into the fermenter, just dump it all in.

1. Yes to both, up to you. there's a fair bit of info out there on effects of leaving the trub behind and conversly of dumping the whole lot into the fermenter. Personally i fill my cube to brimming and there's usually 500ml or less left over of the trub in the kettle. In other times I've just dumped it all (including hop sludge before I began using a hop sock.) In both scenarios the beer has been excellent although that's hardly scientific as I've never brewed the same beer twice.

2. Most heavy stuff will settle out amongst the yeast trub in the fermenter so you'll lose whatever volume the heavier material was contributing - whcih is good since you don't want to be chewing your beer.

roverfj1200 said:
Hello, Just picked up a 40L urn and ready to up into my first BIAB. So would like some help.

Thanks

1. I get rid of mine.
2. Nope. But you'll lose the bottom 1-2l from your fermenter into wherever you decant to: bottles or keg/s.

Bearing in mind that I discard the last 3l from my kettle, I still find there to be sufficient trub in the fermenter, that sometimes gets up around the tap outlet level, I could only imagine how much more debris would be in there if I'd emptied the whole kettle into the cube, and then into the fermenter - particularly in a brew with lots of hop additions.

roverfj1200 said:

Thanks
I drain my urn until it stops on it's own, down to the tap level. Some cold break makes it's way to the cube, no ill effects at all.
I pour everything from the cube to the fermenter. Never had any issues doing it this way.

roverfj1200 said:

Thanks
I tip the 3L into a jug/bucket/bottle etc... then throw it in the fridge.

When it settles I can decant the 1.5L or so of clear wort off it and boil it up to make a starter... which I then use with my cube.

I like to leave the cruddiest bits of the crud behind in the cube, so yes, a L or 2.

For a 20L batch, I calculate for 3L of loss from the Urn and 1L loss from fermenter, so 23L after the boil ends up as 19L of beer in my keg. I use a hop sock so no hop material left in the Urn. I haven't measured it but I'm guessing I pour in probably 22L, trub and all, into my 20L Willow Jerry can and leave about 1L in the Urn. I use BrewBrite in the boil and it keeps on working in the Jerry can to get the crud to the bottom.

I used to worry about the trub in the cube/fermenter but after brewing 26 + brews with it all in there, I haven't looked back.

Also, I have been fermenting in the same Willow Jerry can as it fits into my little bar fridge. One vessel to collect wort post boil and also to ferment in. Orsum!!!! :super:

just to share, when i had my urn setup I would:

a - whirlpool at end of boil and leave to settle, approx 20-30 mins.
b - fill cube until level of wort was below tap outlet - quality v's quantity ( + you allow for about 3lts loss in the urn for trub)
c - throw the whole lot into the fermenter, it settles out during the fermentation.
d - rack to secondary and discard yeast cake that contains all that trub, hops and cold break yadda yadah
e - collect yeast from secondary after kegging and bottling 19 litres.

good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

Just waiting for my mill to arrive and I will jump in.

Cheers.

OK - there has been a bit of "what I do" but not much of " what would be best to do" - so here is what would be best to do. My opinion, and it happens to coincide with the concensus opinion if you decide to go searching for it - this is the most likely chose that will give you the beer you are trying to make.

All that shit in the kettle - leave in the kettle. Your kettle wort should be reasonably clear - the more "not clear" you get into your fermenter, the less good it is.

So - in a 40L urn, I would not be at all concerned that you were leaving behind 3-4 litres of "stuff" in order to get nice clear wort.

Suck in all the crud from your kettle.... bad
Absolutely crystal clear wort ... perfect
Leave behind "most" of the goop.... realistic

if you hit realistic, you are where most everyone else is and you'll be fine -- goodly chunks either side of that mark, will also be OK - if you are on the not so good side, well..... It'll be OK this time - do better next time. Bob's your aunties illegitimate lover.

Back