Bi carb soda taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

He-brew

Reaction score
Im new to brewing (finished my first batch in November 2014) and my brew was ok, but there was a very strong bi-carb soda taste. I'm not too sure what it is. I thought it might be the carbonation drops? Or possibly the yeast?

It was a Mangrove Jacks Classic Gold Lager kit. I followed the instructions exactly. It fermented at around 22° for a week before it was bottled. I had my last bottle the other night and the taste was still there.

What can I do to reduce this Flavour or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423086493.577725.jpg

Perhaps residual sanitiser?
What is it?

It's apparently the type of sanitizer that breaks down so it doesn't matter if there's some left in there. I got as much sanitizer as I could out though...
You've never had the bi carb flavour problem?

May be you could try and describe the flavour a bit more. I have never tasted bicarb.

My moneys on the sanitiser, i'd be a bit dubious if something says it's no rinse on the pack but doesn't say what the active ingredients are

Napisan breaks down to form sodium carbonate which i assume would taste similar to sodium bicarbonate. My bets on the sanitiser as well. Edit Or perhaps its caked onto the sides of your bottles.

Ok. Sounds like it's the sanitizer. I've bought another liquid sanitizer (phosphoric). Hopefully that'll fix the problem.
I'd say, it definitely lacks flavour, which makes sense, as its a basic kit and I did nothing whatsoever to stray away from the directions. There is almost like a tonic or soda water taste that overpowers everything else. The head doesn't hold very well. It kinda fizzles out rather than fades like a good head should. Which is why I thought it was maybe the yeast or carbonation drops. I'm bottling in 750ml brown PET bottles so I used 2 drops as per the packet.
Once my next brew is ready to taste, I'll post. I'll be sure to ditch the rest of that powder sanitizer and use the phosphoric in future.

Thanks for all the help!!

Definitely sanitiser. You can't beat the phosphoric acid stuff.

Back