Better grain storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grainer

The pursuit of Utopia
Reaction score
Hi All looking at grain storage.. wondering what people use.. I want to ensure no vermin get in .. or bugs like cockies LOL

are you just using 10L buckets???

saw some cool pet storage buckets but cant get em here..

VITTLES VAULT
The Ultimate in Grain & Dry Goods storage.

Grainer

These containers look good ..but cant get anything like it.. about 20-25kg

yell.jpg

I use 20l Maxipail from Bunnings (search Maxipail on their website). 2 pails hold a full bag of grain.

Cost me about $10 per bucket but I think they'll last a while.

If you're friendly with your local Charcoal Chicken shop, ask, and he might sling you a couple of empty 20lt coleslaw containers.

Does the same job.

I used to use the 20L handi pal for the base malts. They fit half a bag each and are stack-able.

Now I store the main grain in an old chest freezer (turned off) Smells yummy when you open it.

grain_storage_zps9ebc46ff.jpg

My spec grain gets stored in plastic air tight containers in the corner of the workshop (in the brew area)

brewery1_zps3a44ca1f.jpg

I use a bung chest freezer for base malts. Fits bout three- four full bags of base malt. 20 l maxi pails for split bags and 10 - 2l maxi pails for spec grains and the like. Had a mouse infestation when I first started milling a coupla years ago but a good dose of ratsack and a bead of space invader around the shed and they've never returned. Roaches don't get in the shed but occasionally pop out of the cracks in the brew rig, hence my CPA clone. ( The C don't stand for Coopers ;) )

Grainer said:
saw some cool pet storage buckets but cant get em here..
They look horrible for storing pets in!

In other news; I use the big olive importing bins that are easily purchased off eBay. Rubber, screw-down seal - heavy duty shiz.
They're probably just a bit big - but better than being too small, I guess.

I've got the 75L water drums from a bloke on a farm nearby. 10 bucks a pop, fit a whole bag.. I keep em in the bag as well though and tie the liner off with an elastic.

Spec grains are like kev mentioned, just small airtight containers!

Bunnings handi pail for base malts. I seal my specialty malts in vac bags the same as I use for my hops, just bigger bags and sealed only, not vacuum sealed. I keep all those together in another Bunnings bucket.

I use the Bunnings pails too. I can almost fit a whole bag in them if I shake them a bit to move the grains down a bit in the bucket. Normally what I do is just when I get a new sack of malt, use whatever amount for a batch and then dump as much of the remainder as I can into the bucket and figure something out if there is any left after that. Usually just a small vac sealed bag. :)

Baby formula tins for smaller amounts if grain. They hold 1kg each

I think Kmart do the 20L handipails for $7 now.. but my local chicken shop does the 20L mayo buckets (same same) for $4 - feels a bit rich paying for someone elses rubbish... but hey I did :)

I got the big black containers from the dollar shop. Had grain in them for a year or so now and the grain is still crunchy. No mould or vermin either. I had a mouse problem living semi rural. Got these containers and just clean up any spilt grains when im done milling and its all good. They fit 3 sacks as well. I have 5 of them.

I use the small wheels bins that can be found in the cheap shops for about $15.00 they hold a 25 kg bag of grain perfectly,are on wheels so easy to move about the shed etc. ..cheers..spog...

Just a thought. Would it be a good idea to keep some of those moisture absorbing containers in with the grain? Green shed sells em for $20 or less depending on the brand. I might give them a go during the humid months.

Got a great deal today at Warrigal Rd Self Storage

20L Buckets - Heavy Duty (Much Better than the Bunnings pails 20L)
I have opened up a cash account for a better price..Contact me if ur interested

$7 1-20
$6.50 20-29
$6.25 30+

They are screw lids with a locking mechanisim, foodgrade plastic and with a rubber seal on lid so airtight... They are the ducks nuts... :super:

Grainer

bucket.JPG

bucke 2.JPG

bucke 1.JPG

They looks the good and remind of some I got from wolfman. I'd grab 8.

They look great grainer but you'd need a bigger size for a 25kg sack of grain. Great for smaller amounts of grain.

Heres an idea if your handy with tools etc, use packing sheets of ply etc the drawer sliders are strips or wood, set it up to suit your needs and label the container fronts bung some castors on it to wheel it away and ya good to go.
Obviously you'd need to balance the whole setup but if you have specialty grains in small quantities it would be worth considering.
image.png

Latest posts

Back