Best Yeast To Use For A Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcke109

Reaction score
Was thinking about making my first cider and have a couple of questions:
1. what's the best yeast to use?
2. what fermentation temp?
3. can i use finings to clear it up if I want to bottle it or polyclar and filter if I want to keg?
4. how long does it take to ferment?

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Dan
PS - I noticed the recipe in the recipe database

Champagne yeast would be good for that. It should be able to handle the high gravity of the wort and also herlp to produce a bit of dryness in the finished product. This would be a nice balance for the cider and give it a bit more of a mature/grown-up taste.

Most of my ciders have been fermented around the 22 deg mark. This has usually made for a fairly vigorous fermentation (lots of action through the air lock), usually lasting around 5-6 days. Just keep an eye on your gravity readings and this will be your best measure as to when it is finished fermenting.

I haven't used finings etc in any of my ciders, just racked into a secondary for a few days and then bottled. The result was a very clear cider.

champagne IMHO is too dry and doesn't leave enough body in there.

I use 3788 Wyeast cider yeast if you want dry - or if you want sweet use the sweet mead yeast or Pinot nior wine yeast.

Hope this helps.

Wyeast 4766

Have been doing straight apple juice (Berri preservative free) but am currently experimenting with fresh apples. Am trialling a blend of 3 different varieties (2 eaters, 1 cooker) to add some complexity to my ciders.

This yeast really allows the apple flavour/aroma to shine thru.

Just my 2 c

Cheers
DrSmurto

Dr Smurto,

What's your recipe for all juice cider?

So far i have done a few Black Rock ciders and been pretty happy with those, but am keen to try an all juice version.

An all juice cider will finish quite dry but i like my ciders like that.

Recipe, if you can call it that.

20L of Berri Preservative free apple juice
Wyeast 4766 (i had a decent yeast cake left over from previous batches)

Thats it.

Next step up is juicing apples. I have a 5L test batch. juice from 3kg each of fuji, sundowner and granny smith. Sit overnight with a crushed campden tablet. Rack into 5L test vessel and pitch yeast. Some yeast nutrient wouldnt hurt.

I've been wanting to do a Perry (Pear Cider) for a while now.

Apparently ,the pear juice gives more body and a less dry finish than the equivalent apple. Has anyone tried it?

Dry cider is how i like it. Also prefer my mine to have a pretty decent kick to it, so i might add a kg or 2 of sugar to the mix.

Last time i was in the UK i got hooked on Thatchers Cheddar Valley Cider, can't find any here in Aus.

Anyone know of a recipe clone for this?

Any one done any natural ferments?

I have aquaired 23L of fresh granny smith pressings, and thought I might natural ferment half and hop up (sugar) and ferment the other half with Duvel yeast

I've been wanting to do a Perry (Pear Cider) for a while now.

Apparently ,the pear juice gives more body and a less dry finish than the equivalent apple. Has anyone tried it?
If you can work out what the yeast actually is (some sort of wine yeast) the number 1 yeast in an Oztops kit with a bottle of apple and pear juice makes a very nice quaffing cider.

without a doubt 3788 Wyeast cider yeast

Franko

Franko makes an awesome cider, the best I have tasted since leaving the Ol'Dart

Pumpy :)

champagne IMHO is too dry and doesn't leave enough body in there.

I use 3788 Wyeast cider yeast if you want dry - or if you want sweet use the sweet mead yeast or Pinot nior wine yeast.

Hope this helps.

Hey GMK,

Would you throw a handful of Cascade in the batch as well.

cheers

The man who looked up to you as my mentor and gave me my name :)

This sounds promising, Franko, what's your secret?

My recipie is very simple

22Litre batch

10 Litres Apple juice usually purchased from Aldi
12 litres Apple & Pear Juice
250 grams LDME
2 or 3 granny Smith or Pink Lady apples (cored and sliced)
Wyeast 4766 Cider Yeast

ferment out and then crash chill for 3-4 days,then filter keg and enjoy.

I have found this yeast stays very much in suspension and needs the 3-4 days to drop out before filtering

Franko

Cheers for that Franko, sounds a good recipe, I will have to give it a shot.

I made ~20l each of cider and perry this past weekend. This is my second time making both. My inlaws have a pear tree and its fruit is pretty much inedible.....very sour. I did some reading regarding traditional perry and apparently the authentic stuff uses inedible pears too. A friend's girlfriend, who is originally from Britain, really likes my perry as she says it is nearly identical to the commercial stuff she used to enjoy 'back home'.

I was running low on time, so I decided to try making spontaneously fermented perry and cider. I didn't pasteurise the juice this time - I just juiced the fruit and poured it into a carboy. The first time I made them, I brought the juice up to 80C, then sealed the pot using a lid and cling film. I then cooled it off in a water bath. I'm anxious to try the finished product as the thought of a 'lambic' cider or 'lambic' perry sound kind of good to me.

As far as what perry tastes like.....let's say it's refreshing. Very astringent, bordering on sour, with a beautiful full pear aroma. You can taste pears, but it's very very astringent. Imagine skinning a few bunches of grapes, boiling the skins, and then concentrating that. Once you get over the initial palate shock, it's actually pretty good tasting.

Thanks for all the responses - much appreciated :)

I'm keen as to get my first cider underway. Noticed some people ferment straight apple juice and some add a little hit of sugar to it to up the alcohol levels. Can anyone tell me what kind of alcoholic % you get with and without the sugar?

Latest posts

Back