Best Way To Store Left Over Grain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastie Beastie

Reaction score
What is the best way to store left over grain?

I am starting to get a small collecting of various types and have been putting the left overs in a ziplock back and storing in a cool dry cupboard.

Is this the best way?

I store mine in air tight plastic screw top jars as they stack well on the brewery shelves. Also being clear I can see if I am running low on any malts especially specialty malts. The base malt usually just stay in the bag in the grain drums. To be honest I don't trust zip lock bags as they tend to not seal properly over time as the grain flour clogs the zippy bit of the bag.

Chap Chap

I normally have upwards of 3 to 5 sacks stored. I use ex olive food grade drums which are vermin proof and I occasionally flush the drums and grain with CO2 to kill weevils. I read somewhere that dry ice will have the same effect on the little barsteds as well.
Cheers Altstart

I store mine in air tight plastic screw top jars as they stack well on the brewery shelves. Also being clear I can see if I am running low on any malts especially specialty malts. The base malt usually just stay in the bag in the grain drums. To be honest I don't trust zip lock bags as they tend to not seal properly over time as the grain flour clogs the zippy bit of the bag.

+1 for the plastic screw top containers. They work well although mine aren't actually clear, I can still see the grain level.

Base malts just go into an old plastic bucket fermenter which is no longer in use - just put the screw in bung back into the tap outlet and sealed up the airlock hole.

These just sit in the cellar under the house which is fairly cool. I used to put them in the fridge but now I have too much grain to occupy a fridge and I've read enough times now that you don't actually need to keep them that cool. Storing them at room temperature is supposed to be fine for up to a year. If you keep malts for a year, you're probably not brewing enough!! :icon_cheers:

Back