Best Way To Clean Copper Herms/cfc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Finally i was able to upgrade the brew stand today (brew stand 1.5)

most of the fittings are now SS however i have copper pipe as my herms and CF-chiller. Now the CFC was made say 5 years ago. ( i had not used it for 4years as i was away with work)

Whats the best way to clean out copper (which i cant really see inside of) - note i have used it on about 200Lt of brew this year and all seems fine but i want to make sure

currently i run sodium percarb. before each brew, then starsan and water after i brew to hopefully stop any crud growing.

however today i put all the new hose and SS fittings in and thought i would run some sodium percarb through the system as the fittings and hose are new and there was some tiny bits of crud.

I want to make sure its all totally clean and ready to brew tomorrow (today was a test run to make sure tomorrow will be a smooth brew day - lucky as there was some leaks)

I know copper is a soft? metal so i need to watch what i pump through it, but i want it clean and like new for the coming years brewing

cheers

Finally i was able to upgrade the brew stand today (brew stand 1.5)

most of the fittings are now SS however i have copper pipe as my herms and CF-chiller. Now the CFC was made say 5 years ago. ( i had not used it for 4years as i was away with work)

Whats the best way to clean out copper (which i cant really see inside of) - note i have used it on about 200Lt of brew this year and all seems fine but i want to make sure

currently i run sodium percarb. before each brew, then starsan and water after i brew to hopefully stop any crud growing.

however today i put all the new hose and SS fittings in and thought i would run some sodium percarb through the system as the fittings and hose are new and there was some tiny bits of crud.

I want to make sure its all totally clean and ready to brew tomorrow (today was a test run to make sure tomorrow will be a smooth brew day - lucky as there was some leaks)

I know copper is a soft? metal so i need to watch what i pump through it, but i want it clean and like new for the coming years brewing

cheers

PBW

Screwy

thanks screwtop, i am using PBW and sodium percarb (depending on what i grab each time) and i assume they are both good for this.

looks like i am ready to brew tomorrow then

thank you

and you can get it from Ross at http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2537
its good stuff.

Cheers

Brett

Thanks mate i have a tub that i use to clean the brewery - you have set my mind at ease now looks like i am on the right track

as i have both sodium percarb and PBW - is there much difference? i know its the active part of PBW.

normally i use sodium percarb. to clean really dirty things and save the PBW for a final clean on brew day ( just to save PBW)

I use a copper coil immersion chiller, which I usually just rinse with hot water after each brew. Last brew day I left it to soak in my urn/kettle with a fair whack of sodium percarb., but I noticed when I took it out it had developed a very worrying bluegreen oxide.

Has anyone else found this when using sodium percarb. on copper?

johnny, i have not seen that but i understand PBW and the likes might damage soft metals if its a strong mix or maybe left long enough. I used to put mine in a bucket with some starsan (acidic) and it looked bright when it came out to use. However i dont know if this damages it long term

Back