Best Way To Buy Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan79

Reaction score
hi all

Have done a few AG beers so far, am just wondering whats the best way to buy grain, currently buying from grain and grape as i make each batch is their a cheaper way?.

Also live in south west vic does anybody now what style of beers are suited to the water down here?

thanks

newbie. :beer:

Check out the Bulk buys thread alan. It is a cheaper way than what you are doing now although your current system suited me for many years of ordering through G&G. Try the local water authority website for makeup of the local water also talk to the people at the brewery on the highway......can't recall it's name. Welcome to the forums. :D

hi all

Have done a few AG beers so far, am just wondering whats the best way to buy grain, currently buying from grain and grape as i make each batch is their a cheaper way?.

Also live in south west vic does anybody now what style of beers are suited to the water down here?

thanks

newbie. :beer:

1. Work out which base malt you use a lot of. I use a lot of ale malt and pilsener - so i buy them in bulk during the bulk buys. That way each batch is just about the specialty malts
2. Work out a few batches ahead - that way if you're using the same hops you might save more in a larger lots.

You should have jumped on the bulk buy from G&G, we're all picking our grain up this Sat. Apparently they have a grain book of some sort where you buy bulk and just take home what you need each time. Not sure if they still do it though, best to give them a bell

I am currently also mulling over my options here....

It's definitely cheaper to bulk buy in 25kg sacks, but it needs milling....

Even buying a nice mill (monster mill, crankendstein, barley crusher etc...) will in the long run save serious coin. It's just the initial outlay of the mill. If you live close to a home brew retailer who sells by the sack (the sponsors at the top of the page as an example) you will save freight costs too. Should be able to get your grain cost down to around $2 per kilo instead of $4-5.

Initial outlay of a top quality mill brand dependent of course can run you a couple of hundred bucks, but will pay itself off over the course of brewing. Maybe paid for itself after two sacks of grain.

I have been getting my grain by the recipe or double batch recipe too, but am starting to think about buying in bulk now that i have a few recipes that i want to keep on tap perfected....
Was going to do this a long time ago, but thought i should get my recipes down first...

EDIT: Shit, you've got to be quick don't you? Beaten by several posts.....

I'm between a rock and a hard place, buying locally from a sponsor my domestic base malts such as BB Ale work out at around the $3 a kilo mark, ready milled and shrink wrapped, and to buy a good mill it would take me not only a couple of years to pay it off but all the extra hassle on brew day, the travelling to bulk buys which won't save me all that much - and then not till 2013 by which time the mill could be gestuffen. As it is I open the 5k shrink and pour it in, dead easy.

However if you are faced with regular prices of $4 to $5 a kilo then I'd seriously go for it.

Corona or marga mill for budget conscious or monster mill MM-2 for $140.

Latest bulk buy $31 for 25kg JW = $1.25/kg
LHBS in small qty = $3.50/kg

Save $2.25/kg in bulk .. the mill is paid off in 60kg approx, let's say about 10 brews... pretty good business case in my book especially if you're sticking with AG for the long haul. Even then you could sell it and get most of your $$ back.

It's definitely cheaper to bulk buy in 25kg sacks, but it needs milling....

Why not buy 25kg of cracked base malt and store it well in an airtight barrel, using it over around three months?

I haven't participated in the grain bulk buys yet and was under the impression that the prices were a lot higher per kilo than that. Hmmmm - I'll dig up a thread and have a look, :) - the filter might just have to wait :p
Any rice bulk buys on?

Marga Mill will crush 5kg in a few mins once hooked up to a drill/dynabolt. How long it lasts, well, I'm still in the testing phase on that one. Seems to hold up pretty good, it's a sterdy piece of kit

If you're already a Grain & Grape customer and you've missed the bulk buy ask them about their 'Grain Book'.

I believe this is one way you can save slightly on the retail price for grain. You do pay a sum upfront and then draw out grain like a 'bank'.
I think there's some details on their website about it. Not as cheap as bulk buying but another way to save.

The next Bulk Buy via G&G possibly won't happen until March next year (as seems to happen when everyone runs out), but another source of cheap grain would be talking to anyone who is associated with a club in Corio. I know the Corio Brewer guys (Geelong I think they are?) had a bulk buy going last year with 50kg Pils malt for $50. Pretty amazing price through a Geelong based distributor I think the brand was IMC or something.

There was also a thread on here regarding some guy in Colac doing a deal to get some Weyermann bags through a local craftbrewer near him - so maybe chat to your local brewer (like Flying Dog near you) and see how they get their supply and if you could piggy back a few bags on top of their next order.

Another source of cheap grain is Powells Malt. You can go direct to them I gather if you're buying a few bags and they're based in Vic (either Mordiallac or Braeside I think) - a few threads on those guys on here. Their malt is slightly less modified so some report less efficiency with their grain but I know a lot of folks who love the stuff, and one guy has made some award winners with this grain.

Hopper.

Thread Title - Best Way To Buy Grain
I want to answer - in bag

on a serious note - isnt there a brewery in warnoombool? you could get in contact with them and see if they will sell to you.

otherwise the other suggestions above pretty much coverr it

Grain and Grape also used to run a "grain book" from memory so you buy a full sack of grain at a cheaper price then everytime you need some you can go in, they crush the amount you need (prpobably for a small cost) and mark it off your grain book total.

Also check Greensborough Home Brew supplies grain prices, Dave has a very competitive price on grain,a lso has a grain book i think but you would need to ask.

Corona or marga mill for budget conscious or monster mill MM-2 for $140.

Latest bulk buy $31 for 25kg JW = $1.25/kg
LHBS in small qty = $3.50/kg

Save $2.25/kg in bulk .. the mill is paid off in 60kg approx, let's say about 10 brews... pretty good business case in my book especially if you're sticking with AG for the long haul. Even then you could sell it and get most of your $$ back.

Where are you getting the grain at that price?

Just checked the last we paid was
say BB Ale $32 + $8 freight = $40
40 / 25 = $1.60 per kg

Still a good price but...

QldKev

Where are you getting the grain at that price?

Just checked the last we paid was
say BB Ale $32 + $8 freight = $40
40 / 25 = $1.60 per kg

Still a good price but...

QldKev

The melb bulk buy - no freight cost :D

thanks guys

i might go the melb bulk buy option next time around, will give me time to make a mill.
also good idea on the flying horse will see if i can buy some grain off them will save time and postage from melb

thanks

alan

you don't need BB's to Save money, standard G&G prices for JW trad ale is $1.80 a KG for 25 KG's, that's approx $7.20 for the bulk of your malt (4kg) per brew.

I love brewing :super:

Best way to buy grain is with money. You can dress up in your girlfriend's crutchless panties and act coy and available while doing the Cancan, but most LHBSs prefer money.

Best way to buy grain is with money. You can dress up in your girlfriend's crutchless panties and act coy and available while doing the Cancan, but most LHBSs prefer money.

You just ain't dancin' right chief...

Latest posts

Back