Best Temp For 3944 Wit Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreic

Reaction score
I've got my 3rd attempt at a Wit fermenting with Wyeast 3944. I fermented the first 2 at 20c. My current Wit is fermenting at 17c. What's this going to do to the flavour of my beer? Should I warm it up a little?

Wyeast state 16-24c as the best temp for the yeast I think. What's everyone else do with this yeast?

cheers, Andrei

personally i go for 20c, although 18c gives you a slightly more neutral flavour. depends on whether you want more yeast character (20c) or more citrus/coriander (18c)...

personally i go for 20c, although 18c gives you a slightly more neutral flavour. depends on whether you want more yeast character (20c) or more citrus/coriander (18c)...

OK... I think I want more yeast character... might go and set up the heating mode in my fermenting fridge. I'm only 2 days into the ferment - and this yeast takes an age to finish, so should still be pretty good.

After trying the lower and heigher sides of the range I like the charachter of the higher side too :)
+1 for the 20
Cheers
Doug

After trying the lower and heigher sides of the range I like the charachter of the higher side too :)
+1 for the 20
Cheers
Doug
+2 for 20C. Just watch out - this yeast is a messy *******.

OK, consensus so far is 20c, which is what I'm going to continue to use...

I know its a messy yeast from my first 2 beers with it. I also found it to take a long time to ferment out... is that a common experience?

I also found it to take a long time to ferment out... is that a common experience?

Yup - fast drop in gravity for the first 75% of the ferment, but the final 25% takes about 10 days... Don't panic, and certainly, don't bottle it too early. You could even up the temp to mid 20's for that final part of the ferment if you want without any ill effects.

[Edit: spellnig]

Latest posts

Back