Best Stainless Cleaning/sterilising Agent

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
Hi All,

What is the best gear to get my stainless all good to brew in. I will use it for my brewery and post mix kegs.

Cheers

I use caustic soda (sodium hydroxide). Powerfull and cheap.

Sodium Percarbonate based cleaners like napisan work well. Try to find a brand with low or no scent. Not quite as cheap as caustic but much safer to handle and use.

Hi All,

What is the best gear to get my stainless all good to brew in. I will use it for my brewery and post mix kegs.

Cheers

I borrowed a 30ltr urn recently and it was in disgusting condition. I had never seen a build up of scale like this one had.I used some caustic soda which I forgot to mix thoroughly and it stuck to the bottom like you know what to a blanket :angry: . Caustic will go rock hard if it is not mixed properly. I finally got it off/out.There was still a little scale left so I used some citric acid which is more user friendly. I mixed it up with a little water put it in the urn for a short time, rinsed it out and the bottom shone like gold :super: .

BYB

Does that CLR stuff work?

Not as well as it should given the claims and the price. I tried it once or twice on my electric elements and it took forever to not do as good a job as I was expecting. Leave it for unclogging shower roses and low-priority stuff like that.

For brewscale, I recommend citric acid - even if you buy it from the supermarket.

Mild caustic solution and scourer (non metallic). Drain then use straight phospheric acid and scourer. Rinse out, nice and shiny and clean.

Mild caustic solution and scourer (non metallic). Drain then use straight phospheric acid and scourer. Rinse out, nice and shiny and clean.

I agree, but steer clear of steel wool and stainless steel scourers, they will cause rust.

Latest posts

Back