Best Place To Find Recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julez

Reaction score
Hi all,

after weeks of research on which AG equipment to buy, the gear I selected is soon to turn up at my door. So, I'm up to phase 2 - recipes!!

I'd love to know where you guys recommend for sourcing a good range of recipes, esp. ales as I won't have lagering facilities to start with. I've downloaded Beersmith and have a book on beer chemistry with general recipe info, but looking for more detailed info on specific brews.

Cheers and good brewing B)

Buy and read the Ray Daniels book "Designing Great Beers"

Pick a style you want to brew and search for it here. Read as much as you can.

Then create your own recipe.

If you want to skip all the fun bits, the links leeboy posted are excellent.

I actually agree with goatherder, while the recipies from the maltose falcons and beer dujour sites are all awesome the fun part in brewing is learning how to brew and the styles and what you can alter within a style etc. Goatherder recommended Ray Daniels book "Designing Great Beers" which i also 100% recommend you read. I brew a lot of recipes similar to those on the sites that I think are better because of mod's I've made using style knowledge. The BJCP is also a good read.

But if it is a easy fixation you want with your new equipment and then latter work out the recipe design thing then just grab a APA recipe from one of those sites.
Good Luck

I actually do both.
Read Designing Great Beers (assuming he has covered the style of course :) ), look around at recipes, who has done what, read the ingredient of the week thread here if there is one...
You quite often get an idea of what people are doing with a particular style of beer, then you can tweak according to your preferences, or try ideas.
It's all part of the fun...
I've always made my own, even when starting with a particular recipe of someone elses.
I'm thinking of spending a few brews following some of the better known ones around here, but I'm not sure it will happen...

I actually agree with goatherder, while the recipies from the maltose falcons and beer dujour sites are all awesome the fun part in brewing is learning how to brew and the styles and what you can alter within a style etc. Goatherder recommended Ray Daniels book "Designing Great Beers" which i also 100% recommend you read. I brew a lot of recipes similar to those on the sites that I think are better because of mod's I've made using style knowledge. The BJCP is also a good read.

But if it is a easy fixation you want with your new equipment and then latter work out the recipe design thing then just grab a APA recipe from one of those sites.
Good Luck

Thanks Leeboy and Goatherder - I agree with you too - I have purchased the Ray Daniels book as it happens, and my objective is definitely to design my own. However, the book is definitely aimed at someone who has already done at least a few brews and I am pretty keen to take some short cuts just to get my feet wet to start with. I reckon there's as much for me to be gained by copying other people's recipes at this point, as there is from learning about the ins and outs of brew chemistry! I hope the book can help me get off the training wheels though and eventually do just as you say - figure it out myself!

Cheers to everyone for the comments and links :beer:

I actually do both.
Read Designing Great Beers (assuming he has covered the style of course :) ), look around at recipes, who has done what, read the ingredient of the week thread here if there is one...
You quite often get an idea of what people are doing with a particular style of beer, then you can tweak according to your preferences, or try ideas.
It's all part of the fun...
I've always made my own, even when starting with a particular recipe of someone elses.
I'm thinking of spending a few brews following some of the better known ones around here, but I'm not sure it will happen...

Should have read this post before I made my last comment - thanks bconnery, that's exactly what I'm thinking. :D

Should have read this post before I made my last comment - thanks bconnery, that's exactly what I'm thinking. :D
Whereabouts in Brisbane are you Julez? BABBS homebrew club meets at Lyndon Bowls Club in Holland Park on the 4th thursday of every month. It's a great place to meet more brewers and learn stuff. As well as taste good beers...

The exact address is in the clubs section of the site but I think it is 47 Galsworthy st...
Otherwise there are usually brew days and get togethers around the place...

Whereabouts in Brisbane are you Julez? BABBS homebrew club meets at Lyndon Bowls Club in Holland Park on the 4th thursday of every month. It's a great place to meet more brewers and learn stuff. As well as taste good beers...

The exact address is in the clubs section of the site but I think it is 47 Galsworthy st...
Otherwise there are usually brew days and get togethers around the place...

Thanks for that bconnery - sounds like a good idea! I'm in Alderley, on the North side, but willing to travel for the cause! I will have my full kit assembled and ready to go in the next week, so I will probably have a tinker myself in the meantime and hopefully can drop in for the Feb meeting. Will check out the clubs section as suggested.

Back