Best Conical Pressurised fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avensgarth

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been out of brewing for a few years and looking to get back into it. My previous fermenter was a WilliamsWarn Personal Brewery so I've been pretty spoiled.

Any suggestions, pro and cons, personal experiences with kit currently on the market would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers...

There are probably a lot more options now than when you were brewing previously. It will depend on your budget and which features you want.
If you liked your WW kit before, they now make “brewkegs” in a range of sizes. These have the same functionality as the fermenter portion of the personal brewery, without the chilling or dispensing portions.

With similar functionality, the PET varieties such as Fermzilla/Fermenter King are pretty good and getting better with each generation. There is also a stainless version of the Fermzilla coming out later this year which might be worth keeping an eye on - I’m guessing it will be similar to the WW brewkegs but compatible with all of Kegland’s add ons.

If you really want to splash some cash, there are several brands available which offer what are essentially scaled down versions of professional kit - jackets, ports galore and generally over-designed………but so shiny. There are a few lucky owners of these on here so I’m sure they’ll offer their opinions.

Welcome back to the hobby and good luck with your selection!

Good morning Avensgarth. I can only talk of the one unit, SS Brewtech 14 gallon (US) I haven’t used any other.
Good value for money, and they do cost a bit.
Small enough to pick up and move for cleaning etc. CIP is easy but I do pull the parts down and inspect after rinsing and then reassemble and sanitise.
Good for pressure fermenting or spunding.

I have long admired from afar the concept of the single vessel Brewha BIAC from Canada. They come in a range of sizes from single batch to bigger commercial sizes for brew pubs. (I see no reason why it couldn't be used to ferment under pressure with the addition of a spunding valve).
A few brewers have blown out the jacket on these double-walled vessels by putting mains pressure water through the jacket; or allowing hot water in the jacket to cool (and therefore contract) with the valves closed. The BIAC seems be a brewing system for those who are prepared to read and follow the manual's instructions and understand the basic science and technologies involved.

Last edited:
There are probably a lot more options now than when you were brewing previously. It will depend on your budget and which features you want.
If you liked your WW kit before, they now make “brewkegs” in a range of sizes. These have the same functionality as the fermenter portion of the personal brewery, without the chilling or dispensing portions.

With similar functionality, the PET varieties such as Fermzilla/Fermenter King are pretty good and getting better with each generation. There is also a stainless version of the Fermzilla coming out later this year which might be worth keeping an eye on - I’m guessing it will be similar to the WW brewkegs but compatible with all of Kegland’s add ons.

If you really want to splash some cash, there are several brands available which offer what are essentially scaled down versions of professional kit - jackets, ports galore and generally over-designed………but so shiny. There are a few lucky owners of these on here so I’m sure they’ll offer their opinions.

Welcome back to the hobby and good luck with your selection!
Thanks RobB, the stainless version of the Fermzilla sounds interesting and could be worth waiting for. I have been looking at Stainless UniTanks and while there are a number of overview videos there doesn't seem to be much information on actually brewing with them.

An actual stainless fermzilla! I must have missed that! I always thought that'd be a great idea for them and hoped they would do it but didn't actually hear that it's on the cards.

I saw this in Keg King stainless steel Apollo, looks the goods.

. 001.JPG002.JPG

I have long admired from afar the concept of the single vessel Brewha BIAC from Canada. They come in a range of sizes from single batch to bigger commercial sizes for brew pubs. (I see no reason why it couldn't be used to ferment under pressure with the addition of a spunding valve).
A few brewers have blown out the jacket on these double-walled vessels by putting mains pressure water through the jacket; or allowing hot water in the jacket to cool (and therefore contract) with the valves closed. The BIAC seems be a brewing system for those who are prepared to read and follow the manual's instructions and understand the basic science and technologies involved.

Very interesting thought for the brewpub I'm never actually going to start. I see the designers have provided for heating the fermenter, but the only cooling comes from circulating water in the jacket. If your supplied water is warmer than your brewing temperatures you'd need a way to chill it. If you brew lagers in Darwin that could be very difficult at home and costly even for a microbrewery.

Very interesting thought for the brewpub I'm never actually going to start. I see the designers have provided for heating the fermenter, but the only cooling comes from circulating water in the jacket. If your supplied water is warmer than your brewing temperatures you'd need a way to chill it. If you brew lagers in Darwin that could be very difficult at home and costly even for a microbrewery.
I bought a stainless steel conical fermenter and modified the lid to take a thermowell (down the center) a 1.5” tri clamp gas & prv on a T liquid post and immersion coil
The unit is an imposter one 34 Lt (I’ve put 4x 9Lt watering cans of water into it and recon I could get another 5Lt in it to fill it
Basic unit cost $440 in Melbourne

This is it

Attachments

• 5B2378EB-AEC7-48BF-B14C-C2A5BC9542FE.jpeg
    5B2378EB-AEC7-48BF-B14C-C2A5BC9542FE.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0
Where’s that from Ballaratguy? Also how did you attach a prv to the tee? Don’t tell me they’re a bsp thread…
Yep the prv does have a 1/4” bsp thread
Look up the fermenter on eBay (it’s a bit dearer there though

I’ll post a photo of the lid setup later today
I used the lid that came with the fermenter to do the add ons
Haiti’s of the lid. (It helps when you can weld stainless steel)

Attachments

• 88EDF906-20BC-44AF-B8D2-CDCAEC472B15.jpeg
    88EDF906-20BC-44AF-B8D2-CDCAEC472B15.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 12F0C735-4682-4DA7-A89F-CECD30E10D4B.jpeg
    12F0C735-4682-4DA7-A89F-CECD30E10D4B.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 8787895B-2553-45FC-86D0-3153A2E29484.jpeg
    8787895B-2553-45FC-86D0-3153A2E29484.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
That’s my dream lid… what size is it, looks bigger than 4 inch?

Is the immersion coil a must once you go stainless steel due to the added weight? A fridge just seems so much easier and cheaper.

For me fridges would be preferable but glycol chiller a necessity due to space constraints. Got it second hand for a good price at least…

That’s my dream lid… what size is it, looks bigger than 4 inch?
5 inch
If using a 4” you would need to angle the gas/prv post at least and maybe do the same for the liquid post. I use the liquid post with a floating dip tube and have the dip tube in the center of the lid so the dip tube can slide up and down the dip tube (keeps it in the center and stops it from getting stuck on the sides of the fermenter or tangled up with the temp coil)

Back