Best Ball Valve For A Ss Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianOR

Reaction score
Hi,
I need to purchase a ss ball valve for a beerbelly ss kettle that I've bought 2nd hand.
Is it worth springing the extra $10 or so for a 3-piece ball valve, or is a 1 or 2 piece ball valve more the norm?
How often do people disassembled and clean out the kettle ball valve as a rule?

Its very important to have a clean kettle ball valve so I've always used 3-piece. I used to disassemble every 3 brews or so and its amazing how much gunk is in there even with good cleans after each use. Its a very simple procedure. :)

I put a 3 piece on the kettle I'm putting together, & have a standard ball valve on my MT. I love the 3 piece & that's all I'd go for from now on. My $2.91

Hi,
I need to purchase a ss ball valve for a beerbelly ss kettle that I've bought 2nd hand.
Is it worth springing the extra $10 or so for a 3-piece ball valve, or is a 1 or 2 piece ball valve more the norm?
How often do people disassembled and clean out the kettle ball valve as a rule?

Are you planning on chilling in the kettle or no-chilling?

Dont get me wrong, a clean tap is a good tap but if no chilling then the near boiling wort running out the tap will do a pretty good job at keeping your tap sanitary but again a clean tap is a good tap!

I would buy the best you can afford, if it is a 3 piece than cleaning will be a lot easier... you can still clean a 2 piece too... but for an extra $10 on a tap that should last you a long time it seems very little in the scheme of things.

2c

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.
Not no-chilling,I plan on building a Jamil style whirlpool immersion chiller before my 1st all-grain, I've already got a march pump so might as well make use if it.
Will deffo plum for the 3 piece so, just didn't want to over-engineer it, if it wasn't the done thing. Thanks.

check out www.geordi.com.au for all your stainless gear... they can ship to you...

3-piece SS ball valve will last forever

check out www.geordi.com.au for all your stainless gear... they can ship to you...

3-piece SS ball valve will last forever

Or beerbelly. Got all my fittings from them - prices are about the same as Geordie, and you'll be able to get o rings and silicone hose etc. all in the same place. Great service too. No affiliation.

Cheers,

Jon

Back