bench top bottle capper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrell

Reaction score
Hi, got a bench top bottle capper for Christmas. I'm nervous about how high above the bottle I should set the machine. Eg if its too low and I pull the lever all the way down, will it smash the bottle. I am assuming the lever needs to pull all the way down?

You won't smash a bottle. I set mine to the lowest setting that allows the bottle under. You can feel when the cap has made the seal.

set capper just above the top of the bottle,enough to get cap on,pull down handle,you will a slight resistance when it crimps to cap onto the bottle....go to the 5 minute mark in below video

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. That presenter was hot.
Another question. As a rule of thumb, can I assume any bottle with the 10c refund sticker on it is ok to reuse for home brew ie coopers and James squire

squirrell said:
Thanks guys. That presenter was hot.
Another question. As a rule of thumb, can I assume any bottle with the 10c refund sticker on it is ok to reuse for home brew ie coopers and James squire
Never assume lol. That is the best rule of thumb.. Not just in beer brewing but life in general haha.

But if they are a crown lid instead of screw top you are more likely to get a better seal.

DU99 said:
Coopers is the better bottle..
Coopers bottles are excellent, as are champagne bottles. Champas bottles do need a different capping bell and caps, but both are easily sourced from any decent home brew store (or the interwebs).

JD

Hint,mount the capper on a thick length of timber roughly 45 mm thick x250+ mm piece,but mount the capper at one end not the middle.
Otherwise when you try to cap the hole lot will go arse up because of balance and ...well you guess the rest.
Cheers.....spog....

Back