Belgium Beer From Kit - Duvel, Kwak?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theres a couple of duval recipes on the forum not listed in the recepe database. Have a search in K&K and extract threads for Duvel. I think Henno had a good sounding all extract recipe.

For Duvel - I'd guess

1.7kg light clean kit - low bitterness
1kg LDME
1kg Cane sugar converted to candi sugar

Made up to 20L

Maybe some Saaz hops

Yeast is gonna be the defining factor in this one can't remember which strain is Duvel - but a good belgian strain is gonna be essential

Cheers

Belgians are 70% about the yeast and yeast management. Get a good liquid yeast (3787 is tasty) and temperature control and you're most of the way there.

Note that I am by no means an expert, this is just my 5c, take it for what you think it's worth.

I remember reading somewhere (Brew Like a Monk or Wild Brews) that Duvel is bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces. This is (apparently) responsible for some of the distinct character of the beer.

Also the Brett will (again, apparently) ferment to 100% and this could cause an issue if the FG is too high before bottling (for reasons of bottle grenades).

:icon_cheers:
EK

I remember reading somewhere (Brew Like a Monk or Wild Brews) that Duvel is bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces. This is (apparently) responsible for some of the distinct character of the beer.

I think you're thinking of orval that's bottled with brett, pretty sure duvel has only the equivalent of wy1388 in it.

Any ideas how to brew it from kit?
I've checked RecipeDB, can't see a reference...

Mate of mine was using this as a base:
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=8213

GrainNGrape are miles away from me... not sure are there any options?

As everyone has said, most of the flavour comes from the yeast. If you're interested in belgians buy brew like a monk, i think it even has recipes for duvel (AG not K&K though).

IIRC, duvel starts at only 1.064 or something in that area and ferments pretty much bone dry to get the 8% alcohol. Just be aware that any kits you may buy for this have had the mash done, so the amount of attenuation you can expect will be fixed by the kit maker. If you go for a big beer, it'll finish too sweet for duvel. Adding malt extract to the kit will only make it harder to get the F.G. down to where Duvel is. And adding sugar to get the O.G. up may turn your beer into rocket fuel.

I do remember a trick in one of the Jamil podcasts where they added a small amount of cracked grain to a extract brew and held it at 65 to try and get the wort more fermentable. I don't know if this would work with a kit.

It's quite possible that the beer will turn out amazing, but I think a K&K belgian triple is in danger of finishing too sweet.

Good luck

James

EDIT: Just looked at what kit you referenced. That's probably the only one I'd trust to get anywhere near the proper F.G. Grain and grape should've done a fairly low temperature mash for that FWK. Mind you a doppelbock isn't a dry beer so you never can tell.

I think you're thinking of orval that's bottled with brett, pretty sure duvel has only the equivalent of wy1388 in it.

Could well be. I will try to remember to look it up tonight, even if only for my own knowledge.

EK

Brewferm make Belgian beer kits. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in AU before.

If you could get a hold of one fresh, and used a good liquid yeast I'm sure you could make something interesting.

You're thinking of Orval in BLAM. Duvel has no brett in it.

You're thinking of Orval in BLAM. Duvel has no brett in it.
Indeed I am, just checked: Brew Like A Monk states that Orval bottle conditions with Brettanomyces.

EK

Cool, thanks a lot for all that ideas guys!

I'm on the right track now...

Latest posts

Back