Belgian stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeansBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys

I just put together a stout recipe I am going to brew next week, but I was thinking about splitting the 20L batch in two and using a Nottingham yeast for the first 10L batch and a Belgian yeast for the second.

I'm hoping that using the Nottingham yeast (being a fairly neutral yeast) will just showcase the chocolatey/coffee like flavours coming from the chosen malt bill but I wanted to add a Belgian yeast to half the batch, hoping to bring out richer dark fruity esters that are usually present in a quadrupel for instance. Im thinking prunes, rasins. sultanas. I don't necessarily want much banana flavours which come from belgian yeasts.

Anyone got any suggestions as to which Belgian yeast I should use?

I haven't got the recipe with me right now but it's a quite high gravity stout with ale malt, spec b, chocolate malt, roasted barley and black malt. Hoping to achieve roughly 7%abv

Cheers

Wyeast 1581 - Belgian Stout
It's from the Ellezellois brewery in Belgium and is used in their Hercule Stout. I have used it and it gives some very nice esters. I think it's a PC strain so it might not be available. I can send you a slant if you like. It reminds me a little of Wyeast 3711 French Saison, so that could be an alternative, although it is highly attenuative so it might dry it out too much.

Edit: neither of those yeasts will give you banana.

In Brew like a monk has a nice fermentation guide showing what strains throw what flavours when fermented at different temps.
Im not a big banana note fan myself and from memory I was planning on using the Rochefort yeast WY1762 to ferment as banana wasn't a note it supposedly throws.

I'll find the page when I get home and post a pic if someone doesn't beat me too it.

are you fermenting side by side? each yeast will have a preferred temp range so you'll need to treat them differently to get the flavours you want out of each.

Thanks for the input guys,

I just found a fermentis s-33 sachet in my fridge. How would this rate? would it give the esters I'm looking for?

Charst said:
are you fermenting side by side? each yeast will have a preferred temp range so you'll need to treat them differently to get the flavours you want out of each.

I have two fermenting fridges, so I could easily ferment them at different temperatures.

Pic attached will give you some options.

Back