Belgian Dubbel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMyers

Reaction score
Those of you residing in NSW might have been present at the recent NSW 2002 State Homebrew Chamionship. You may have noticed that the Belgian/French category wiped the board with the top three scorers coming in first, second and fourth overall. Below is the dubbel recipe that came third in the category (fourth overall) with a score of 136.5/150. It is expensive, costing around $65 - $70 for a 23 litre batch, but it is definately worth the cost.

Ingredients
1 x Morgan's Royal Oak Amber Ale
1.5kg liquid Amber Malt Extract
1kg liquid Caramalt Extract
300g lager grain
150g chocolate grain
200g candi sugar (or dextrose if you can't find candi sugar)
40g Tettnanger hops
30g Hallertau hops
White Labs WLP530 Belgian Abbey Ale yeast

Method
Add the lager and chocolate grain to a 2 litre thermos and 3/4 fill with 70C water. Seal the thermos and steep the grain within for 1 and a 1/4 hours. While the grain is steeping, mix the candi sugar, the amber malt and caramalt together with 10 litres of water. Bring to a boil and add 40g Tettnanger hops. Boil this for 60 minutes, adding 20g of Hallertau in the last 15 minutes and another 10g Hallertau in the last minute of the boil. Remove from the heat, and strain the liquid from your thermos through a fine mesh colander/straining bag into the pot. Discard the grain. Add the tin of Morgan's Royal Oak Amber Ale to the pot and mix through. Cool the contents of the pot and empty into the fermenter. Top up to 23 litres and when the temperature is right, add the yeast and ferment.

Those with draught systems might be tempted to keg this brew, but believe me it improves a hundred-fold over eighteen months in the bottle.

OG - 1.057
FG - 1.012
Ferment Temp - 18 - 22C

Note
WLP530 Belgian Abbey Ale yeast forms an enormous krausen. Be sure to leave a good six to eight inches of headspace in your fermenter. Use a 30L fermenter if possible. Be sure to age this brew. It is great at 4 months, Fantastic at 8 months and outstanding at 18 months. Enjoy.
If you try this recipe, be sure to drop me a line and tell me what you think.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

I might wait until winter before I try this one... it's too hard to control the temprature in the garage at the moment :)

It will also give the bottles something to do they have been a bit lazy since the kegs came along.

Tony

Back