Belgian Candi Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren, I know that Gough from Murray's posted very recently that this is also what they do with their Belgians. The reason he gave is that this helps to reduce stress on the yeast in the early stages of fermentation by avoiding having a very high sugar percentage at that point. Works for them apparently (and there beer tastes pretty good to me). :)

Hey Stuster,

I have seen those posts too and wonder if it is just smoke and mirrors. ie added before or after makes no difference except it seems unique if added afterwards (or the brewer was confused and concerned that the yeast would "puff out" in a higher gravity wort).

Anyhow, what is the ABV of Murrays Belgian?? Nothing over 8% I would suspect. There are not too many belgians strains that would struggle with that OG.

cheers

Darren

I remember reading an article that suggested all this inverted syrup business is a bit of nonsense, and in a blind taste of there wasnt any marked difference to regular sugar once the beer was ready... Anyone have any non flaming opinions on this? $24 for less than half a litre of candi syrup seems a bit steep, especially when (As someone postd earlier) they need over 1L for a brew...thats over $50 in sugar for your brew...

I remember reading an article that suggested all this inverted syrup business is a bit of nonsense, and in a blind taste of there wasnt any marked difference to regular sugar once the beer was ready... Anyone have any non flaming opinions on this? $24 for less than half a litre of candi syrup seems a bit steep, especially when (As someone postd earlier) they need over 1L for a brew...thats over $50 in sugar for your brew...

My opinion is that you can make it at home for $3.00 and can also adjust the amount of colour you desire. How important the citric acid is in the process is debatable.

From the original craftbrewer site

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/...ers/candy.shtml

cheers

Darren

Yeah thats the one, the debate I read I think was on whether the inverting process makes the kind of differences claimed...

Invertion maybe not. The colour of sugar after the process is absolutely ******* fantastic though.

Give it a try and you will see.

cheers

Darren

I have seen those posts too and wonder if it is just smoke and mirrors. ie added before or after makes no difference except it seems unique if added afterwards (or the brewer was confused and concerned that the yeast would "puff out" in a higher gravity wort).

Anyhow, what is the ABV of Murrays Belgian?? Nothing over 8% I would suspect. There are not too many belgians strains that would struggle with that OG.

Well, I guess I agree with you. I've never added the sugar later than the boil and have never had any problems with Belgian beers not attenuating as I expected them too (other than some strains slowing down but getting there in the end). Then again, I've never done a real comparison to see if it makes any difference. I think you're right though that at 8% or so most Belgian strains are just getting into their stride. :D

Yeah for the real high gravity yeasts I've read that you have to work em up to it. I guess upon further thinking the only reasonable way to do that would be to add sugar mid ferment.

Yeah for the real high gravity yeasts I've read that you have to work em up to it. I guess upon further thinking the only reasonable way to do that would be to add sugar mid ferment.

Mid ferment sugar additions definately give my belgians a more authentic taste,IMHO
Definately helps the yeast out,much cleaner flavours result

When making a belgian strong dark, I added a quarter of the wort to the full amount of yeast each day and it fermented out really well.

Lots of yeast, small amounts of fresh wort added each day, lots of growth and not too much simple sugar at any stage. A bit like making a big starter?

Kev

Does anyone have the formulation of the Dark/Extra Dark syrups for inclusion in promash?

Back