Belgian beer postage/shipping to Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 44310

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm off to UK next week, and managed to score a few days to Belgium at the latter end of the trip. Whilst very much looking forward to sampling the famous sours in its homeland. Being opportunistic, I'm exploring options to send a parcel of liquid souvenirs home as a b'day present for myself.

Spent excessive time looking, with no real conclusion on the best avenue to post/ship a parcel home to Melbourne. Refusing to accept postage via Royal Mail for £230 (double that to Aussie dollar) is the only option.
*detoured route home is making it tough to go the 'second suitcase' option*.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure if it's worth it to be honest - if you're getting such nice beers they really should be kept cold the whole time, and I'm not sure if any affordable postage option can provide that.

klangers said:
I'm not sure if it's worth it to be honest - if you're getting such nice beers they really should be kept cold the whole time, and I'm not sure if any affordable postage option can provide that.

Have a look at a friend of mines website, He goes to Belgium a couple of times a year, selects beer, ships it here cold and it goes straight into a cold store.
He is also a big fan of Sours, so he brings in quite a few.
On the website is a list of the bottle shops that stock his beer and the option of joining his club that gets you 6 bottles of very interesting beer in top condition every month at what I think is a very reasonable price. The beers aren't all Belgian, there have been some Dutch, English and German beers but they were all well worth tasting.

International Beer Collector
Worth a look.
Mark

Why not bring back in your luggage? I brought back 10 bottles in my checked luggage last trip and all arrived fine.

MHB said:
Have a look at a friend of mines website, He goes to Belgium a couple of times a year, selects beer, ships it here cold and it goes straight into a cold store.
On the website is a list of the bottle shops that stock his beer and the option of joining his club that gets you 6 bottles of very interesting beer in top condition every month at what I think is a very reasonable price. The beers aren't all Belgian, there have been some Dutch, English and German beers but they were all well worth tasting.

Worth a look.
Mark

Thanks heaps Mark, they're a solid portfolio. I actually work at a store that stock a number of these labels, but some unique stuff there that I might just sign up!

MHB said:

Worth a look.
Mark
+ 1 awesome beers to my door

Each adult can bring in up to 2.25L of alcohol duty free, if it comes in with you - so in your luggage. Families traveling together can pool allowances, but you can't pool with non-family members.

If you ship alcohol separately, all of its subject to GST and excise/WET on entry into the country. Note that the $1,000 GST threshold that applies to most items does not apply to alcohol, and you can't argue for the personal effect exemption either.

Blind Dog said:
Each adult can bring in up to 2.25L of alcohol duty free, if it comes in with you - so in your luggage. Families traveling together can pool allowances, but you can't pool with non-family members.
If you go above the 2.25L the excise is based on alc%, so often it isn't worth the time for the customs/border officer to write up the excise. Still declare it though. Also once you go over the duty free amount you would be required to pay duty on the entire amount.

Persons under 18 have no duty free concessions for tobacco and alcohol.

Christ, is that AUD Mark?

Tripel karmeleit for $4.00? Is there a minimum order of 6000 or something?

I just glanced at a few of the beers in the shop expecting a reasonably hefty price tag for good, hard to find beer but some of what I saw looked like what I would pay for a stubby of fat yak (I wouldn't pay for a stubby of fat yak but you get my drift).
Just looked at one page using mobile, sure there's more at much higher prices but I was taken aback at how well priced most things looked.
Might grab a few things. I'm sure freight to Tas will bump things up a bit but I can wear that.

Possibly ot but just signed up for monthly sixer. $52 includes postage to the apple isle
Absolutely no affiliation.

for those in the newcastle area, I'm pretty sure they also offer free pickups from Country Brewer in East Maitland to save on shipping $

I used it for a few months last year and there were definitely some tasty brews

manticle said:
Possibly ot but just signed up for monthly sixer. $52 includes postage to the apple isle
Absolutely no affiliation.
SBOB said:
for those in the newcastle area, I'm pretty sure they also offer free pickups from Country Brewer in East Maitland to save on shipping $

I used it for a few months last year and there were definitely some tasty brews
Both interesting comments.

I moved to East Maitland recently and my monthly 6 pack costs $53 delivered now (was previously inner city Newcastle so was cheaper) and live about 200m from country brewer so could easily pickup.
Cheaper to Tassie than to East Maitland for postage! Cheeky bastards! They could have let me know about the pick up option...

Having said that the beers are great. Had never tried any de molen beers prior to joining (but did love de struises version of vuur et vlam (ignis and flamma)) but having had their beers in the monthly pack they have quickly firmed as my favourite brewery.

Sorry, way OT.

Adam.

themonkeysback said:
Both interesting comments.

I moved to East Maitland recently and my monthly 6 pack costs $53 delivered now (was previously inner city Newcastle so was cheaper) and live about 200m from country brewer so could easily pickup.
Cheaper to Tassie than to East Maitland for postage! Cheeky bastards! They could have let me know about the pick up option...

Having said that the beers are great. Had never tried any de molen beers prior to joining (but did love de struises version of vuur et vlam (ignis and flamma)) but having had their beers in the monthly pack they have quickly firmed as my favourite brewery.

Sorry, way OT.

Adam.
just email them and ask, last time I was in Country Brewer pretty sure they still advertise the monthly 6 packs on a wine barrel near the counter

+1 bring back in your luggage. A friend of mine brought back a case of Westvleteren 12. When he declared it the staff pretty much said "pfft, beer... No need to worry about that" and he skipped the import tax which he was prepared to pay.

Glad a couple of you are getting on board, Jason is a friend, I have no other affiliation, just a great appreciation of some of the beers.
For locals IBC now has a warehouse in Islington. If you contact them I am sure you could collect from there.

Sorry for the OT, but anything that gets more people to taste good beer the better.
Mark

Back