Beginner cider questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonson

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been reading these forums and searching for help for the last 2 months.
My partner and i have tried so ghetto cider brews using juice bottles from aldi and adding mangrove jacks m02 cider yeast.

Our first attempt, we let the ferment for 5 1/2 days and then capped them and put them into the fridge.

One we tried the following day, the others we drank a week later which were markedly better than the one we drank the day after fridging.
My question is how do I know when the yeast/cider has fermented dry/out. Does that mean leaving it to ferment until the SG is 1.000?

The guy at the home brew shop where i got the M02 yeast told me it should take 10 days to ferment. We noted that the juice was down around 0.999 - 1.001 after just 4 days. Would it be beneficial to leave it ferment longer?

Yes, even if the yeast is done eating through the sugar there's still cleaning up to do. And cider always could do with a few weeks to age.

You'll get better results with canned apple juice you get from home brew stores and best results of all from fresh pressed apple juice :)

SG can get bellow 1.000sg with Aldi juice as well, so let it ferment out for at least a week or stable for a couple of days.. unless you are drinking it "still" from the same bottle or a decanted bottle out of the fridge. In which case you can fridge it early to keep a little sweetness. If your bottling it then you will have to leave it till its bone dry otherwise you may/will end up with bottle bombs.

Again as TimT said, A week or 3 with Aldi juice will make a fair difference. Still its not great but its ghetto :p

Latest posts

Back