Beertools Pro 1.5

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
Im finally making the step up to AG and am looking at getting some software.

I have downloaded trial versions of promash, beersmith and beertools pro V1.5.

As a noob, Beertools pro seems the easiest to use and understand.
I had a quick search on this site for topics about beertools, but could only find topics a couple of years old. I am led to believe that Beertools 1.5 is a fairly new release, so those old topics may not be so relevant any more.

If you have had experience with other brewing software as well as the latest beertools, can you please give me your opinion on beertools. It seems fairly basic, but thats what I am after as a beginer. Maybe there are there functions lacking in beertools that I may require?
Im not at all concerned with costs as they are all roughly the same.

Gregor

I just got into AG brewing this year and thought the same thing about beersmith... thought shitballs will I use any of this!!! but after a few brews and getting to know beersmith Im happy I stuck with it..

saying that, I didn't try beertools.. I tried promash..

each to their own I guess but I suggest beersmith.

I've used beertools for the last 3 years or so. Never had a problem with it. Very easy to use. Haven't used anything else though.

I've used beertools for the last 3 years or so. Never had a problem with it. Very easy to use. Haven't used anything else though.

Is that the online version, or Pro which looks something like this

BT.JPG

The print function on beertools pro is woeful, and to make matters worse they won't address the issue. The mash schedule when printed out is long, running down the page so you end up with having to print out 2 pages instead of one and that's just selecting the minimum information to include.

Andrew

The print function on beertools pro is woeful, and to make matters worse they won't address the issue. The mash schedule when printed out is long, running down the page so you end up with having to print out 2 pages instead of one and that's just selecting the minimum information to include.

Andrew

What version are you talking about?

What version are you talking about?

I've just looked in the Beertools forums and the issue of having a single page printout of the recipe was raised in 2007, the author, Jeff, replied that he had been busy but would look into it, then nothing.
I remember during the beta testing the issue was raised as well.

Andrew

Other than the print problem, does it do everything that a noob like myself would need?

It does everything you could want and more, and I think that's it's down fall.
Setting up your equipment is a PITA to do properly although you can do a minimum setup, but for heavens sake why would you want to calibrate your burner or element for instance.
I really think this program was aimed more for the professional craft brewer than your average home brewer.
It's just a bit too geeky for me.
I own it but don't use it.

Andrew

Beersmith is an excellent program I'd definately recommend it. I find it's very easy to use after getting orientated about it. It seems to be the most popular so it's good for collecting/ exchanging recipes in bsm format. I tried ProMash but preferred BS, I don't think ProMash has been updated since 2003. Cheers

I've used them all.

I had Beersmith and beertools pro on my old computer for ages.

Then I changed to a mac. I got fed up with beertools pro I've gone back to beersmith through virtual box and hand write all my print outs.

I cant wait till beersmith comes to mac.

Horner

As I mentioned in the original post, Ive downloaded trials of all 3.
Just having a bit of a look at Beersmith, it doesnt seem to have any Australian grains in there, also lacking in NZ hops.
Is this just because im using a trial version and it needs updates, or do you have to add these manually yourself?

I am pretty sure you have to purchase the wares I.e beertools before you can down load data.
I can't remember what file format it is, but if it is the same as for Beersmith and Promash it shouldn't be too difficult to transfer files.
it be very painful to enter them all manually...

-Beersmith has a download page with a lot of the Australian malts here, you can also ask on AHB for the files you can't get from Beersmith.

Andrew

I've been using beertools ( the simple, straight forward one ) since 04. Have never felt the need to change. I love the simplicity, and im very happy with my beers. You can make great beer without knowing every last detail of every variable in brewing, Sometimes too much information just means too much stuff to worry about.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back