An Odd Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobNewy

Reaction score
i had a brain storm today. Maybe it was a brain fart. Not sure yet

Im wondering if anyone has smoked hops on a smoker to put in an IPA?

I grabbed 100g Super Alpha, 100g Cluster and 50g of Columbus. All cones

Im sorta thing of cold smoking them over apple wood.

Just not sure of the flavour. I saw on an old post, an another site, that someone reckons it may impart an off cheese flavour?

I thought about doing maybe 50g, then just putting one or 2 in a glass of beer and see what happens as a trial.

Most info i can find is people just putting fresh hops in bongs.

Am i totally barking up the wrong tree?

Any help or ideas would be great.
Cheers

maxresdefault.jpg

This guy is the first thing that came to my mind

That was one of the first vids that came up when i searched for it on utube

i had a brain storm today. Maybe it was a brain fart. Not sure yet

Im wondering if anyone has smoked hops on a smoker to put in an IPA?

I grabbed 100g Super Alpha, 100g Cluster and 50g of Columbus. All cones

Im sorta thing of cold smoking them over apple wood.

Just not sure of the flavour. I saw on an old post, an another site, that someone reckons it may impart an off cheese flavour?

I thought about doing maybe 50g, then just putting one or 2 in a glass of beer and see what happens as a trial.

Most info i can find is people just putting fresh hops in bongs.

Am i totally barking up the wrong tree?

Any help or ideas would be great.
Cheers

I see no particular reason not to try it except a question over whether the hop would get a bit oxidised during the process? It probably wouldn't but I don't know.

That said, is there a reason you'd choose to smoke the hops rather than smoking some of the grain?

Is there any reason you wouldn't use something like Liquid Smoke? It's a hickory-smoked fluid that imparts a rich smokey flavour and aroma.

I see no particular reason not to try it except a question over whether the hop would get a bit oxidised during the process? It probably wouldn't but I don't know.

That said, is there a reason you'd choose to smoke the hops rather than smoking some of the grain?

No reason at all actually. I think i got excited.

Havent been able to do it as ive been crook. Hopefully this weekend

Is there any reason you wouldn't use something like Liquid Smoke? It's a hickory-smoked fluid that imparts a rich smokey flavour and aroma.

I have liquid smoke here. May chuck some of that in a glass and see what happens.
Thanks for the idea

Latest posts

Back