Beersmith What A Crock!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
I have just gone to open Beersmith and I found that I was in trial mode.

The instruction said to apply for the key to open it and so I did. When the key was emailed to me I copied and pasted it into the field and the programmed opened.

Now this is just fu%%#@ing great because I am now back to square one as if I had just purchased it.

This means I have lost all of my recipes all of my ingredient files all of my equipment settings, water profiles etc the bloody lot.

What a waste of 29 bucks and hours of my time.

No cheers to Beersmith :angry: :angry:

Does it not save your recipes to your computer, in documents?

Did yo install it to the default location?

Have a look on C:\Program Files\BeerSmith2 is there a file Recipe.bsmx

QldKev

Try checking your *.bsm files in the Beersmith directory?

Might have all your stuff in there?

Does it not save your recipes to your computer, in documents?

It has saved a file called Beersmith 2 in Documents but when I open it and select a file, say for example recipes, all it brings up is the original crap that came with the program and not my recipes.
The same of equipment ingredients etc.

Cheers

If you are upgrading to Beersmith 2 you will need to import all your BS1 files.
GO HERE and follow the instructions, pretty easy.

BTW- Shopping around would of got you activated for $20.

I've also spent to get Beersmith, can't stand the thing and BrewMate does me just fine for designing recipes and keeping records. Also it persists between upgrades.

However best of luck but just sayin' BS isn't for everybody and if you can forget the thirty bucks then maybe a clean break could be in order.

If importing from 1 isn't the issue the folder should contain several files, such as grain.bsmx (if you are using 2), grain1.bsmx etc.
These are backups it keeps.

I had the same thing happen to me after I'd been using it for a while and was able to restore from these.

If you have issues visiting the forum or else emailing brad is a good way to go. He assisted me in resolving what sounds like exactly the issue you are having.

If you are upgrading to Beersmith 2 you will need to import all your BS1 files.
GO HERE and follow the instructions, pretty easy.

BTW- Shopping around would of got you activated for $20.

I am not upgrading Nige and there were no specials around when I purchased as I bought it direct from the Beersmith site. As usual the specials were offered after my purchase.

Cheers

Did yo install it to the default location?

Have a look on C:\Program Files\BeerSmith2 is there a file Recipe.bsmx

QldKev

I have gone to cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2 and in there is another file named Beersmith 2 and in there is my old info.

Now to sit down and work out how to get these files back into the program. :angry:

I really think the program is too complicated and could be a lot simpler.

Cheers

I have gone to cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2 and in there is another file named Beersmith 2 and in there is my old info.

Now to sit down and work out how to get these files back into the program. :angry:

I really think the program is too complicated and could be a lot simpler.

Cheers

Depends on how computer literate you are (not a dig, just saying be careful),

I would create a folder cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2/backup
Copy all data from cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2 to the new backup folder
Copy all data from the cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2/Beersmith 2 folder to cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2

Then try Beersmith again.

If this doesn't work, you can then just copy cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2/backup/* back to cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2 and you have the original files back how it was.

I agree the program is too complicated for what it should be. Can't wait until Beermate gets some more features (scale recipie, style guidelines, step mashes) to make it comparable and I'm a swapp'n

QldKev

If importing from 1 isn't the issue the folder should contain several files, such as grain.bsmx (if you are using 2), grain1.bsmx etc.
These are backups it keeps.

I had the same thing happen to me after I'd been using it for a while and was able to restore from these.

If you have issues visiting the forum or else emailing brad is a good way to go. He assisted me in resolving what sounds like exactly the issue you are having.

I do read the BS forum from time to time and most of the advice Brad gives out goes straight over my head as I am not IT savvy in the least.

KISS would be a good principle and why would a program just decide to go back to the trial mode?
By your comment I am not the only one it has happened to and if there is a problem he should fix it.

Cheers

I've also spent to get Beersmith, can't stand the thing and BrewMate does me just fine for designing recipes and keeping records. Also it persists between upgrades.

However best of luck but just sayin' BS isn't for everybody and if you can forget the thirty bucks then maybe a clean break could be in order.

Your comment " Also it persists between upgrades" frightens the hell out of me.
I wont be using Beersmith if this happens again. but i guess it doesn't really matter as he has allready got my money.
I have tried Brewmate and it seems to do all the things required except stepped mashing and I am lucky that I still have my original PROMASH program as well, and when I think about it I really only changed to BS due to a bit of "peer pressure"

Cheers

Depends on how computer literate you are (not a dig, just saying be careful),

I would create a folder cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2/backup
Copy all data from cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2 to the new backup folder
Copy all data from the cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2/Beersmith 2 folder to cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2

Then try Beersmith again.

If this doesn't work, you can then just copy cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2/backup/* back to cdrive/program files/Beersmith 2 and you have the original files back how it was.

I agree the program is too complicated for what it should be. Can't wait until Beermate gets some more features (scale recipie, style guidelines, step mashes) to make it comparable and I'm a swapp'n

QldKev

Thanks Kev I will sit here after lunch and give it a go.

And thanks to all the comments and help from you guys

Cheers

I've found if you email brad he is great at getting back to you.

I've had a really good run with it.

Then if that does not work it is possible that your original version of BS2 was installed into a different location that you need to find and copy the backup files from there.

Personally BS1 does all I need and saves all the trouble and extra unwanted crap that BS2 has.

Dicko,
Is this the second time you have paid for Beersmith 2?
If so email Brad and let him know, you shouldn't have to pay for it twice.
If you paid for BS1 then upgraded and paid for the upgrade that is a different story.

I love Beersmith, but can see that it could be too complicated for many. It is the only software I have really used, Promash didn't do it for me and lack of updates and support is a worry. Brewmate is simple and cheap, but many things I use BS for are missing.
It's like beer itself, some of us like malty styles, others like their hoppy APA's. Just a matter of personal taste.
Cheers
Nige

Never had any issues transfering or upgrading machines and installs. Use it at home and work. Now, just wish they would fix the late kettle isomerisation ...

Never had any issues transfering or upgrading machines and installs. Use it at home and work. Now, just wish they would fix the late kettle isomerisation ...
I so want to +1 this post.
Ohh look I just did. :D

Back