Beersmith What A Crock!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dicko,
Is this the second time you have paid for Beersmith 2?
If so email Brad and let him know, you shouldn't have to pay for it twice.
If you paid for BS1 then upgraded and paid for the upgrade that is a different story.

I love Beersmith, but can see that it could be too complicated for many. It is the only software I have really used, Promash didn't do it for me and lack of updates and support is a worry. Brewmate is simple and cheap, but many things I use BS for are missing.
It's like beer itself, some of us like malty styles, others like their hoppy APA's. Just a matter of personal taste.
Cheers
Nige

Nige I haven't paid twice for it and I have never had BS1 I purchased BS2 about a year ago to replace PROMASH and up till now have had no problem but I can't understand why my program just decided to go back to "trial mode"

/// I wasn't attempting any upgrade or new installation I was just expecting it to work as required when I clicked to open my BS program.

I do think it is complicated to use and while it is good with what can be done, in all honesty Promash will give you the same result, and the free program Brewmate, is as simple as you can get for a brewing program.
I will now try to copy my files back to restore what I had set up and I will keep my Promash updated with ingredients so I can use it should this happen again.
This has really put a dampener on my day as I was planning to get all ingredients and water ready for a brew session tomorrow.

Cheers

I am about to give up with using hop additions with BS. If I follow the guidelines, my ales come out way too hoppy! :(
Late additions seem to add to the problem without adding to the aroma. I am thinking of trying only one hop addition after the beginning of the boil at about 10 - 15 minutes, which is after the hot break on my BM. I always boil for 90 minutes, whirlfloc for the last 10 minutes and then use an immersion chiller. Recycling the underground rainwater tank water gets the wort down to 25c in about 20 minutes.

Did you run any system restore or pc doctor or pc speed up programs, or had a virus? I wonder if the registry entry has been deleted?

QldKev

I am about to give up with using hop additions with BS. If I follow the guidelines, my ales come out way too hoppy! :(
Late additions seem to add to the problem without adding to the aroma. I am thinking of trying only one hop addition after the beginning of the boil at about 10 - 15 minutes, which is after the hot break on my BM. I always boil for 90 minutes, whirlfloc for the last 10 minutes and then use an immersion chiller. Recycling the underground rainwater tank water gets the wort down to 25c in about 20 minutes.

I like Beersmith a lot but I use it to keep track of what I do, not to tell me what to do.

Did you run any system restore or pc doctor or pc speed up programs, or had a virus? I wonder if the registry entry has been deleted?

QldKev

No, i've had no viruses no restore or any speedup programs.
The computer the BS is on is a work computer and is fully protected with anti virus and all the other protection is up to date.
All must be OK as I have now restored my files from copying them from that location you suggested above.
I have noted that the help function does not work now in BS since I restored the files.
There is odd bits and pieces I need to reset to get it to how it was before.
Up until today I had not run the new version with the cloud etc because I dont intend to use the cloud and because the program is on a desktop I cant use the timer at the brewery.
I am not happy that the program defaults to trial mode for no apparent reason or with no warning :angry:
Well we'll see how it goes from now on,

Cheers

Back