Beersmith Biterness Ratio

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKS

Reaction score
I just downloaded the free trial of Beersmith recently and cant find explanation of Bitterness Ratio. What is a good ratio ? Is there a target to aim for, a spacific number or a general number as a guideline depending on your taste preferance? :icon_cheers:
Daz

After doing a little research i found the page which i was looking for before. its taken from another homebrew forum... but here it is

Keeping in mind that these are just style guidelines, so brew to your palate, but they do help to keep in style

"IBU:GU ratio

Alt-.70
Kolsch- .53
Barley Wine- .94
Ordinary bitter- 1.28
Special Bitter- .73
Extra Special Bitter- .73
Pale Ale- .91
IPA- 1.10
Bock- .34
Helles- .36
Doppel- .33
Eisbock- .26
Mild Brown- .64
English Brown- .56
American Brown- .95
Old Ale- .58
Bohemian Pils- .75-.85
German Pils- .68-.80
Dortmunder Export- .40-.60
Munich Helles- .38-.48
Brown porter- .55-.72
Robust Porter- .61-.93
Scottish Ale .3-.5
Octoberfest- .42-.50
Wheat- .14-.34
Classic Stout- .8-1.20
Foreign Stout- .9
Sweet Stout- .3-.5
Imperial Stout- .9"

Cheers, Sponge

Some of those numbers are further off the mark than my down syndrome cousin....
OB, 1.28?
mild 0.64?
Shit on a stick........... :rolleyes:

Don't confuse BV with BUGU, and don't get confused thingking that BV= 2xBUGU. Theres a big-arsed difference between the two scales.

Don't confuse BV with BUGU, and don't get confused thingking that BV= 2xBUGU. Theres a big-arsed difference between the two scales.

Yea, read the rest of the page and it will explain it to you. Pretty helpful site imo

Yea, read the rest of the page and it will explain it to you. Pretty helpful site imo

I'm more than passingly familiar with it, sponge...and yes BV is a better scale.
It doesn't alter the fact that the list posted earlier has some big errors in it.

I'm more than passingly familiar with it, sponge...and yes BV is a better scale.
It doesn't alter the fact that the list posted earlier has some big errors in it.

Yea, I wasn't trying to imply that you hadn't read it, that comment was for DKS incase he didnt realise that there was a difference between the two bitterness scales.

All is good though

Cheers, Sponge

Back