Beering In The Usa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seemax

Reaction score
Currently visiting Detroit for work... didn't take long to understand why all the locals (upon hearing my accent) ask the question "Why the hell have you come here?" - quite a depressed state since the demise of the auto giants.

Despite this, the choices for eating out are crazy, but even more importantly the range of beers available in most average bars is something you just don't get in oz.

Last night I dined on SNPA and Alexander Keith IPA, both considered basic beers here and the likes of Becks is "gourmet" !

Off to a local microbrewery (or two) this week... loving this exchange rate right now :)

Currently visiting Detroit for work... didn't take long to understand why all the locals (upon hearing my accent) ask the question "Why the hell have you come here?" - quite a depressed state since the demise of the auto giants.

Despite this, the choices for eating out are crazy, but even more importantly the range of beers available in most average bars is something you just don't get in oz.

Last night I dined on SNPA and Alexander Keith IPA, both considered basic beers here and the likes of Becks is "gourmet" !

Off to a local microbrewery (or two) this week... loving this exchange rate right now :)
If you like hops try Green Flash, seemed pretty easy to get in supermarkets in New York. You're right though, the US is a paradise for the beer lover, huge choice and it's cheap. Back here it's, well, some choice but always bloody expensive.

Do yourself a favour and get a six pack of Stone Brewery's "Ruination IPA". It's an outstanding beer (possibly my worldwide favourite).

Just had a mate bring back 4 from the US and I just can't bring myself to crack one.

Jealous. :icon_drool2:

Ahh, how true. On the other hand, Alexander Keith's IPA is neither an IPA nor anything more than Pseudo-Craft. Still butter than Bud though.

Go find the Sierra Nevada Estate 2009, their own fresh hops and their own malted barley, its lovely, will cost around US$8 for a 700ml odd bottle.

Don't forget to fill your return luggage!

Not sure how many beers you can bring back into Aus and still stay under customs radar?

Damn, jealous now (about the beers, not about visiting Detroit)

Check this site out http://beermapping.com/

It's most awesome for finding good beer

Select Detroit as the city and you're off!

Michigan has a massive homebrew and microbrew scene happening

I wasn't overly impressed with the Sierra Nevada range I tried at the Great American Beer Festival though - I did appreciate them more the year before when I was over

Cheers

Back