Beeraholix

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I have a new beer community project which has just gone live. The site is http://www.beeraholix.com

balogo.gif

Below is all the background info.
I would appreciate any feedback, and feel free to start submitting news, and voting on exiting items.

Beers,
Doc

The Idea
The premise behind the site is to build a portal that has current up to the hour news on beer with a primary focus on Australia. There are already many existing beer related information outlets on the internet that are homebrewing focused forums, commercial brewing focused forums, brewery websites, podcasts and digests etc, but nothing to aggregate the content together in a single place, especially with a focus on beer in Australia.

The Site
Beeraholix.com is a non-profit (hopefully self sustaining) community based, beer news aggregator that dynamically pulls information from beer related sources in Australia and globally and also allows members to submit their own beer related topics/information. Content is displayed based on the Beeraholix members voting. If the information is non/miss information it probably won't make it to the front page. If it is hot news then it will make it to the front page, and probably to the top. Think Digg style if you are a techie and frequent Digg.
Members can also comment on beer news articles.
The site has been designed so that it is pretty clean and doesn't use a lot of bright colours. The thinking behind this is the site shouldn't standout like dogs balls while you are at work. That way the site can be viewed during the day/lunch breaks etc whilst at work.

The Team

The team that will manage the site are beer enthusiasts born from the homebrewing community, that have a passion and love of beer.

FAQ
q: Who is behind all this ?
a: Doc from Aussiehomebrewer.com (AHB) is the lead, and the Mod team initially from Aussiehomebrewer.com too.

q: Does this replace AHB, as AHB members are involved ?
q: No. AHB is still the home of homebrewing and homebrewers in Australia. Beeraholix encompasses all avenues of beer (over a primary focus on homebrewing) and it isn't a forum based implementation like AHB.

q: Where is it hosted ?
a: Beeraholix.com is hosted in Australia on the same server as AHB.

q: Is there a roadmap for Beeraholix ?
a: Yes there is. There are a number of ideas in the works to help promote and grow the site. However like any community grass-roots based idea we are starting small and will scale accordingly.

Very interesting Doc, will be keen to see how it grows. Ive just joined up.
Cheers,
Jake

Great to see some AHB members registering.

The exciting part for me, is that only news items that are voted on will make it to the front page. So if the news item is irrelevant, or of no interest it won't get voted on and therefore won't get promoted to the "Current Beeraholix News" section.
I've manually promoted a few news items just to get things kicking alone.
If you are a techie, then this concept shouldn't be new to you as the popular website Digg operates like this.

What I have done also is subscribed Beeraholix to a number of beer related RSS feeds. These feeds populate the "Coming Beeraholix News" section as do member submited news stories. Once an item has 5 votes it automatically makes it to the "Current Beeraholix News" section.

Let me know of any relevant sties I should be getting more content from. Beer and Brewer Mag's site feeds are broken at the moment so I can't automatically pull data from there yet.

Beers,
Doc

I'm currently getting myself cloned so I can spend even more time on the Internet.

Like the concept Doc. Just signed up. Hope it kicks off for ya!

Thanks.
All the feedback has been pretty positive.
Going through all the Aussie brewery websites looking for feeds at the moment (to dynamically build the Upcoming Beeraholix News section. It is amazing how many don't use their websites to drive business.

Please get voting.

Beers,
Doc

I've added the story about Murray's autumn seasonal release. What's that I hear you ask? Well... you'd better get over to Beeraholix and find out!

I've added the story about Murray's autumn seasonal release. What's that I hear you ask? Well... you'd better get over to Beeraholix and find out!
Or get the Murrays newsletter in your email inbox! :p

I can see myself checking this several times a day since the Current Beeraholix News will probably start to cycle quickly like the latest threads box.

I can see myself checking this several times a day since the Current Beeraholix News will probably start to cycle quickly like the latest threads box.

The site is a couple of days old, and starting to kick over.
Been getting in contact with Craft Brewers to see what is new coming up.

Keith the Beer Guy has just posted the details of an awesome sounding beer. Check it out here.

Beers,
Doc

Bigups Doc! Another excuse to reduce my productivity at work. :lol:

Warren -

Beeraholix is one month old, and the site is growing well, with Monday typically being the busiest day of the week and Saturday the least (as I guess you are all enjoying a few ales).

The Beeraholix Twitter account has over 400 followers, and the Facebook account has over 190 friends. If you aren't already following the Beer News stories on Twitter or Facebook then Follow/Friend Beeraholix (Twitter http://www.twitter.com/Beeraholix) (Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=144...=beer%2Caholix).

Please spread the word about the site to your local brewers both professional and personal. I'd like to have all Australian commercial brewers and craft beer venues on board to publicly announce their Beer/Brewery news, like seasonals, product availability, and beer events. If you have any brewer contacts, please direct them to the site, and make them feel welcome.

Please regularly checkout the Coming Beeraholix News http://www.beeraholix.com/upcoming.php tab to see newly submitted news, and vote and/or comment accordingly. When news items reach 5 drinks the news item automatically transfers to the Current beeraholix news http://www.beeraholix.com section and updates Twitter/Facebook. You can also subscribe (via RSS) to the Coming Beeraholix News stories using the Queued RSS feed http://www.beeraholix.com/rss.php?status=queued

To submit a new news item, use the Submit a new beer story http://www.beeraholix.com/submit.php form. It is easy and only takes a minute. Don't forget to select the last Submit Story button after reviewing your news submission.

Are there any features you would like to see on Beeraholix that you think would benefit the site ? Please contact me doc (at) beeraholix.com and let me know.

Doc

Latest posts

Back