Beer Without Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Hops have only really been used in beer for about the last 500 years. It wasn’t until the 16th century that hops in beer was the standard. Gruit ales are beers where herbs were used to flavour the beer instead of hops The typical Gruit herbs, the three most used of the bunch are Yarrow (flowers and stems), Marsh or Wild Rosemary, and Myrica or Sweet Gale. The way you use the herbs is different than the normal hop type schedule. The herbs are first put in the mash, then in the boil at certain times, then in the primary fermenter. The other very significant difference between hops and Gruit herbs is that the hops have a sedative value to them (they make you sleepy) and the Gruit herbs have psychoactive properties that wake you up.

Here are some perspectives of the use of hops and Gruit herbs in beer.

Link 1
Link 2

wikipedia: Link 3

Has anyone had any experience with these types of beer? Maybe it could be an alternative for those who are worried about the 'hop shortage' or something to experiement with for those who are well stocked.

I really like the non-sedative quality of the Gruit herbs....but I wonder about the taste.

Edit: And check here for some recipies Link

I remember Yarrow growing wild when I was a kid in the UK, it was one of those plants that was everywhere like buttercups and daisies, and had a sharp, sort of minty flavour and a dense white flower head. Could imagine it as a hop substitute. Spruce beer was also made when I was a littlie, in the same category as ginger beer / elderflower champagne / other hippie brews :p but obviously with a long folk history.

i've had a few gruits. don't mind em. but they taste kind of like medicine.

also the old goulburn brewery (dunno if it's still going?) used to make a stout with no hops. just roast barley providing bitterness. wasn't too bad.

and then of course some berliner weisses have no hops too.

the middle ages had some good stuff in music, art and architecture, but cuisine wasn't one of its high points... i like to think some things have progressed for the better and the addition of hops to beer is one of those things...

aww cmon be fair... what about open fire roast meat??? Honey mead?? ohh and no McDonalds....all high points...

Back