Beer Tasting Vaguely Like Weak Vegemite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2bigblues

Reaction score
Just a quick question for the experts - I made up a couple of kits Blue Mountains Lager and then Morgans Wheat Beer and they didnt amount to much. I had brewed a Blue Mountains before and found it to be very nice & refereshing with a slight cedary taste and was good. The Wheat beer I think started out Ok (i thought so when it was young) but the longer I left it - the poorer the drop in the end.

it had bubbles but not overly so and just ended up tasting vaguely like very very weak vegemite I guess.................

Neither of them were standouts -

Any advice or help gratefully accepted. I drank it being bloody minded but it was forgettable?

Thanks in advance
Phill

I've actually brewed both frequently.

The Wheat when done with a Morgans wheat Masterblend is excellent with a Saf-K97 dried yeast @ 22 degrees for 7 days primary/7 days secondary.

And the Blue Mountain Lager just with the kit yeast @ 18-20 with a light dried malt/dextrose enhancer comes out very refreshing if not very flavoursome.

Cant imagine where your vegemite taste has come from.... what temp did you brew @ and what did you add to the kit?

added nothing special - just what was recommended or supplied with the kit. ferment at between 22 and 24 for about 7 days from memory.

Will try again - never mind. I thought the vague vegemite taste (yeast) but not that flash tasting might have been an easily recognisable problem or fault in my brewing procedure.

Thanks
for the response

Just a quick question for the experts - I made up a couple of kits Blue Mountains Lager and then Morgans Wheat Beer and they didnt amount to much. I had brewed a Blue Mountains before and found it to be very nice & refereshing with a slight cedary taste and was good. The Wheat beer I think started out Ok (i thought so when it was young) but the longer I left it - the poorer the drop in the end.

it had bubbles but not overly so and just ended up tasting vaguely like very very weak vegemite I guess.................

Neither of them were standouts -

Any advice or help gratefully accepted. I drank it being bloody minded but it was forgettable?

Thanks in advance
Phill

Sounds like yeast autolosys to me, when the yeast cells die they start to break down and this can lead to a vegetable smell that some people liken to vegemite.
The only advice I can give is to drink it quick before it gets any worse. Oh and watch your fermentation temps and yeast handling.

Cheers
Andrew

The only advice I can give is to drink it quick before it gets any worse. Oh and watch your fermentation temps and yeast handling.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi,

I would second this. 24C looks like on the high side. Around 20C is good to minimize off flavours.

Cheers,
Laurent

Thanks Guys for your replies - maybe too much on the warm side - I will try again.

Cheers

I find you get that vegemite taste from the yeasts supplied with kits. The higher temperature probably didn't help either. Try a Safale yeast instead, eg. Safale US-56. Also make sure you aerate the wort well and pitch plenty of yeast to reduce the chances of autolysis.

Back