Passiona/Pasito taste & aroma, but very NOT good :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a weird one for you.

A friend of mine had this happen & he thought it was his fault, suspecting heat-related issues, however he uses a fridge with STC-1000 & now the exact same thing has happened to me. I don't have a fridge, but an insulated box & loads of frozen water bottles, which I monitor via a spare STC-1000.

In this instance, we've both used the same super-basic kits & bits recipe (which has been in my standard rotation for over a year now with no problems) & ended up with a really foul beer.

It's just two cans of Coopers wheat goo, supplied kit yeast, dry-hopped with about 2 desert spoons of Citra pellets & that's it.

The resulting beer is normally a somewhat sweet & fruity easy-to-drink drop that is a hit with everyone.

However, his recent batch & mine alike, have both initially when poured smelled like a can of Passiona in the glass & then upon drinking, taste quite foul, without a hint of sweetness. The taste I can't really describe, but it definitely smells like Passiona (which it normally doesn't), but worse.

The beer looks completely normal, as did the fermentation cycle of both batches. We both used cling wrap for lids & could see nothing out of the ordinary during fermentation or immediately prior to kegging.

We both keep to strict sanitisation regimes & most importantly to this topic, we both make beer in different houses & with our own gear (except for AG days, but this is of course not the case here), which means a shared infection cannot be the case.

Any ideas on what may have caused this?

I suspect a bad batch of goo or yeast from Coopers, given neither of us have experienced this before, however I'm not ready to accept that as an explanation just yet.

PZ.

Chilled a bottle of a later batch after the post above (bottled instead of kegging to share with another friend).

Same thing :( :( :( :(

This has me seriously concerned now!

PZ.

Definitely Citra.

One of mine the same batch of hops as his, the other a different batch...

PZ.

You wrote that the beer tastes sour, whereas normally it's sweet(ish).

Do you have a record of the OG and FG for this and previous batches ?
I'd guess that the "sour" batch would have a significantly lower FG than the previous batches.
But with numbers it's easy to check this for sure.

What is "Coopers Wheat goo" specifically - un-hopped wheat extract? Hopped? Hopped how?

I've had this happen to a brew as well, but I put it down to too much citra , about 60grams
It had a massive passiona smell, slight passiona initial taste and then all sour mid and after taste

doctr-dan said:
I've had this happen to a brew as well, but I put it down to too much citra , about 60grams
It had a massive passiona smell, slight passiona initial taste and then all sour mid and after taste
you cant have enough Citra....

As Yob says Citra overdone is still good.

Toss it and rebrew. If it doesnt happen again need not worry.

No gravity record & I mean Thomas Coopers Wheat kits.

Either way, both my bottled & kegged batches ended up coming good after an extra week in the fridge. I understand the positives of extended cold spells, but have never experinced such a bad taste/aroma issue before.

My mates bad keg however never came good. Although they all had the bad taste, his was probably doomed after spending too much time in a hot shed.

PZ.

If you have had success in previous kits/batches but the recent ones have turned, it could be a different yeast in the pack. unless the yeast (even dried) is looked after with refrigeration, they can go off. That or simply the yeast is a different mix/batch from wherever.

Back