Beer taps dominated by big brands as small brewers cry foul

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doogiechap

Burp..........
Reaction score
The competition watchdog is investigating whether contracts between major beer companies and pubs are unfairly blocking smaller brewers from the market.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has sent a letter to small brewers asking if "certain conduct may be affecting competition".

Linky to ABC online article here

I wouldn't be surprised that the majors would put the squeeze on pubs going into the craft brew market, conversely there are some pubs shouldn't be allowed near certain craft brews, I had a pint of Coopers Vintage on tap in Young and Jacksons, it was served at about 2 degrees C.

Problem is the megaswill breweries pay for tap installation and upgrades, which sort of ties the publican to the bewery. Bit of a double edge sword. Publicans can't afford the cost of upgrade and installation, so the breweries pay for it, effectivley "owning" the tap.

The ACCC are pretty much a toothless tiger.

I first came to realise that the ACCC was a toothless tiger during the time this person was the chairman. And it's gone even further downhill since then.

cretin.jpg

DU99 said:
Also some breweries own the pub's..which don't help..
This is true, though nowhere near as prevalent as it was in the 80's, at which time the major players sold off hundreds of pubs to consolidate holdings and focus on production. A lot of these were sold to the publican of the day. The installation of equipment I believe was much like the lease arrangements with Pepsi or Coke and probably offset the upfront cost. These days in NSW anyway with Poker machine income at most licensed premises the hardware installation would be of little concern against total costs over years of trade.

MastersBrewery said:
These days in NSW anyway with Poker machine income at most licensed premises the hardware installation would be of little concern against total costs over years of trade.
Maybe in city pubs, but not in country areas. Thats why they like to get the breweries to pay for tap upgrades.

Prob the kitchen. Pretty common for the bistro/reastaurant/kitchen to be operated seperatly from the bar.

Regardless of what the ACCC decide, I think it's fairly clear that a venue having its taps set up by a a bigger brewery absolutely affects smaller players.
I'd love to find more good beer on tap, even if I did have to hold it for ten minutes while it warmed up.

Latest posts

Back